RPi 3B+ as server?

Sorry, but I am a novice on both RPa and Linux. I have a RPi3B+ that I so far have tested using remotetx.net service. But I would have liked to be able to use a free service and Wfview came to my mind. My thought was setting op the RPi as a server and connect my IC-7100 via USB. Has anyone any ideas on this ?

73s de Geir/LA5ZO

Not tried a RPi3b+ but its worth a try, and easily done, but you may find the Network interface to be a bottleneck. I have used an RPi4 -2gb as a server and that worked very well for serving, cannot - yet - get the RPi4 to work well as a client though. Give it a try, nothing lost other than an hour or two of entertainment !!. 73 Mike

p.s. RPi4 are now becoming available again at ‘sensible’ prices. Check-out https://rpilocator.com/ for availability every few days or so.

Sorry enough I never could get the IC7100 to work remotely as the picture shows so nice and simple…

The server connects to the IC7100 CAT part but not audio wise no audio on the server
It is simple to configure the server for remote access but my cliet PC on the same subnet and firewall opened for Wfvie both sides
the only sign of live at the client site is a short message saying the IC7100 was found picture below.
I hope to have it working one day thanks for all effort

Jaap

Hi Jaap,

The important part is to make sure that on the server, in Settings → Radio Server section, you select the correct audio devices. These MUST be the USB Audio Codec devices provided by the radio. This is the only audio configuration needed on the server (the other audio settings aren’t used)

The only other thing to make sure is that you leave CI-V address set to auto on both the client and server and enable CI-V transceive on the radio.

73 Phil M0VSE

Hi Geir,

The 7100 can work just exactly as you are thinking. We have tested it like that.

You will need to read the manual of wfview, especially the chapters about remote operation.

If you run into trouble, just post here and we can help.

—E
de W6EL

Hi Jaap,

The server side will not show any audio activity. Just make sure to select the IC-7100 USB CODEC audio source/sink under Settings on the Radio Server page.

Most likely I believe you may have had a network issue. That it identified the 7100 could simply be because you manually entered the model and CI-V under settings. Thus it would identify it from the configuration.

Don’t forget to make sure CI-V Transceive is turned ON on the radio. Switch the MOD source input on the IC-7100 to “USB” for both normal and “data” modes.

Make sure you can ping between the client and server. You should definitely try this first at home on your LAN before trying it over the internet, just to eliminate variables.

Lastly, download version 1.61 before you try it again, 1.61 has a lot of improvements that you will appreciate, including new audio device handlers. Be sure to check the log, found by pressing the “Log” button, to see if there are any error messages.

Don’t give up, it seems like you were very close.

–E
de W6EL

My problem is understanding the different locations and commands when installing things on RPi.
I have downloaded the Linux version of wfvies 1,61… I have extracted the file and it resides in a new dist folder in Downloads. How do I proceed from here ? There is an install.sh there…
The Rasberry version is bullseye is that Debian 11 ?
And what/where is the build and source directories ?

Geir/LA5ZO

Hi Geir,

Please read the text on the downloads page carefully. There are specific directions for Raspberry Pi. The Linux download is for x86 chipsets only.

There is also a video on YouTube on my W6EL channel which shows how to install wfview on Linux from source. It shows the same steps.

—E
de W6EL

Thanks Elliot, I followed your instructions and it works great ! Thanks a lot for a great pgm.

73s Geir/LA5ZO

Hi Geir,

I’m glad it worked. If you have questions about getting the IC-7100 set up as a server, please ask. It’s a nice rig for remote operation.

–E
de W6EL

I have noticed that the frequrncy is erratic… it changes to a random freq, then after a while back to the original freq. Tried various CIV setting but no cure. Any advise ?

Geir/LA5ZO

Hi Geir,

We are working on this. It has to do with a lot of older technology used on the single-wire half-duplex CI-V stuff.

You can try:

1. Increase the polling time in wfview. Look under Settings. Set it to something like 200ms.
  2. Try the fastest baud rate the radio supports. Don’t forget to change the baud in wfview to match and then save settings and re-start wfview.
  3. Try the lowest baud rate the radio supports. See what works better.

It depends upon if the data are being corrupted due to the transport not working reliably at high speeds, or, if it is a problem of data collision.

–E
de W6EL