RUMLogNG Coexisting With wfview?

Hey all -

New guy here. I have searched this board’s archives along with the usual Google odyssey and have come up short regarding the subject matter.

I have been using RUMLogNG for years and have a good understanding of its operating parameters. After reading RUMLogNG and wfview - #2 by eliggett specifically - :Method 1: radio → wfview → flrig → RUMLogNG - I have had zero luck. My suspicion is I may not have flrig properly provisioned. Is there anyone who is successfully running this program pair and, would you be willing to share your setup parameters?

Thanks and 73 / Chris

Hi Chris,

I’ve yet to see a confirmed solution to this.

But if the developer can let you enter in a serial port free-hand, that is, type in the exact port to open, then you can use the wfview pseudo-terminal device (aka “Virtual Serial Port”). There are some instances where minor changes are required to how the port is opened, but sometimes it just works.

Here is the manual page on this topic: Sharing Control | wfview

It may even be possible to override your rum preferences file to point to the pseudo-terminal.

I think this is a good feature to ask the developer for. It’s very simple and it lets his program work for even more people – such as those accessing radios remotely. The developer of MacLoggerDX recently added this support and it works very well. I believe the changes required were quite minimal.

Also, did you try that second solution in the thread you linked to? Maybe it could be that simple.

–E
de W6EL

Hi Elliott -

I have tried all suggestions on my 7300 and software with no success and have approached the developer via forum. While usually very accommodating, I received no response. There have been similar requests. I suppose he’s aware and I’m hopeful that future releases of RUMLogNG may contain the functionality.

Thanks for getting back with me and vy 73,

–Chris

Hi Chris. I have tried a similar setup:
Server side:
ICOM 7300 connected via USB to Raspberry 3B, creating ports 50001 to -3, port 4533 as rigctld and choose 4545 as raw tcp forward of CIV traffic.
Client side:
Raspberry 4B with wfview, connecting to the ports 50xxx and presenting audio to my headset.
When I now start rum log on my MacBook, use a 7300-ctrl setup and connect to the port 4545,
rumlog AND wfview struggle to be the CIV-controller with address “E0”, as seen in the logs of wfview:

2022-12-04 10:10:54.711 INF udp.server: Got data for different ID “0xe0” : “0x94”
2022-12-04 10:10:54.711 DBG rig: "INDEX: 00 01 02 03 04 "
2022-12-04 10:10:54.711 DBG rig: "DATA: 27 14 00 00 fd "

Two controllers is too much for the poor 7300 :frowning:
So I closed the Wfview on the client side and tried to control only via Rumlog and Port 4545.
Some functions now work, but i see no waterfall, and the frequency on the wfview on the server side toggles to zero every second.

3rd setup: I connected rumlog using the “ICOM server” setting, trusting the wfview server to present the 7300 on the ports 50xxx as it works with my 705, but: nope: the two “controllers” now collide in the first communication messages “Are you there” <-> “I am here”

4th setup: This may be the one with the most “hops”, but it works!
Server and client side as first setup, but now I enable the raw TCP CI-V traffic port (4545) on the Client RasPi 4B’s wfview.
On rumlog, I use model “7300” instead of “7300-ctl”, connecting via TCP to the client RasPi port 4545.

@Chris: This may work on your Mac: start the wfview client and let it present the CI-V on a TCP port, then let rumlog connect to this port with the IC7300 model setting?

Some readers may ask: Why do I use two RasPi’s, and why should a log program connect to the 7300?
I am working on a setup where we can fully control the club’s ICOM line remotely, allowing the hams with no chance to rig an antenna at home to access the hardware. One RasPi stays in the clubroom, the hams take the client-RasPi home, conveniently accessed by a VNC viewer on any PC/Mac. So the Desktop does only contain the logging software. All other HAM-Software stays on the RasPi.
The Log only gets the working mode and frequency and, if working digital, the QSO data from other UDP ports. BTW: “rumlog” does not know how to connect to the rigctl port 4533, that’s the cause of the trouble…

Have fun.

Roland, DL2ERL

Hello Roland -

Thanks for the details and I will give your suggestion a try. Will report back with results.

–73 / Chris

Hi Roland,

This is great information, I appreciate your post.

I’d like some clarification on what you’re doing so that I understand it better.

ICOM 7300 connected via USB to Raspberry 3B, creating ports 50001 to -3, port 4533 as rigctld and choose 4545 as raw tcp forward of CIV traffic.
Client side:
Raspberry 4B with wfview, connecting to the ports 50xxx and presenting audio to my headset.
When I now start rum log on my MacBook, use a 7300-ctrl setup and connect to the port 4545,
rumlog AND wfview struggle to be the CIV-controller with address “E0”, as seen in the logs of wfview:

So in this instance, you’re connecting rumlog using the raw “TCP Server Port” option, correct? And the connection flow would be something like this:

7300 → ServerPi wfview → TCP Server → mac with rumlog
And at the same time, also connecting to the ServerPi, a Raspberry Pi running wfview as a client.

Correct?

The 7300 and CI-V in general have no problem with multiple controllers (computers) on the bus. wfview defaults to address 0xE1 just to stay out of the way of what most programs are hard-coded to be (0xE0). I think CI-V was very forward-thinking for a 1980s creation in that it allows for multiple radios and computers on the same single-wire connection.

The message " INF udp.server: Got data for different ID “0xe0” : “0x94” " that you posted, is this from the client wfview or the server wfview? It would seem likely the server side. Looking at the source code (forgive me, I did not write the network stuff), I’m seeing that when this condition is encountered, it does not move past the dataForServer function.

I can tell you that multiple CI-V controllers seems to work for the pseudo-terminal device. But I have not personally tried the raw TCP port. Hmm.

Another question for you, what is the “ICOM Server” option in RumLog intended to do? Is it supposed to speak native icom network? If so, it should be able to talk to the wfview server. When you tried this, how many clients were connected to the wfview server? Try just one at a time if it was multiple. I feel like we can probably work on this and make it succeed.

And your 4th setup:

Server and client side as first setup, but now I enable the raw TCP CI-V traffic port (4545) on the Client RasPi 4B’s wfview.
On rumlog, I use model “7300” instead of “7300-ctl”, connecting via TCP to the client RasPi port 4545.

The difference here is that the client-side wfview is providing the TCP server, correct? And this works?
What is model “7300” and what is model “7300-ctl” ? Can you explain what is different between them?

I like your idea of providing radio access to those without antennas. HF is challenging for so many people, but we should be able to leverage technology to bridge the gap, so to speak. Personally, I think they would be better served with wfview on their own computers, due to the more fluid experience of having a normal desktop application and of course, not having to fiddle with VNC and IP addresses. Or just using the Pi directly. But I can see the merits of what you’re talking about. You might also want to tell them to just plug a screen and keyboard+mouse in to the Pi and enjoy it that way, without messing with anything. Just… plug it in and see a radio! I assume you have the desktop on the Pi set to automatic login, run wfview on startup, using a dynamic dns, etc? You can also set wfview to run full-screen on startup, which would make your Pi box a nice link to the radio. Just turn it on and see the rig!

Very curious about your details with Rum. It seems like the TCP connection to the wfview client side is the way to go. Maybe you can send me some screenshots if that consistently works out ok, and then we can include it in the manual.

Sorry for the rambling reply, coffee is still soaking in…

–E
de W6EL

Hi Elliott,

I did some more tests and reduces the setting to only one Raspberry in the Queue, taking my RasPi 4B as it is the fastest.

Yes, as soon as I start the rumlog and it accesses the wfview via the TCP Raw port, the log on the
wfview (server) fills with "Got data for different ID “0xe0” : “0x94” " messages.
But they seem to bee informational only.
I now have wfview and rumlog running on my Macbook.
The rumlog has an access mode called “ICOM Server” which uses the tree ports 50001,2,3 which works fine with my IC705, but fails with wfview as a server for these ports.
Since it has no serial port that understands hamlib rigctl, I choose the setting “TCP”.
The picture is now like this:

The audio has an average latency of 400 ms. This may impact a time critical Digimode like FT8.
I am still looking forward to test this equipment with our club*s IC7300 over the “real” internet :slight_smile:

Have fun.

Roland.

1 Like