SDR-Control and the IC-7300

Hi, all.

For a couple months, I was borrowing an IC-7300, and I had to give that back a couple weeks ago, so I recently bought one. While I was borrowing that one, I tried wfview. wfview is super slick, but what I really want is to use SDR-Control on my iPad with my new 7300. (I wish I could afford a 7610 to have the built-in network support, but here we are, so…)

wfview to wfview worked great, but when I tried SDR-Control on my iPad, I found the audio to be super choppy even on my home WLAN. I found lots of other issues too – such as an inability to transmit (it took about 1 second to switch from RX to TX, making TX useless). Also, while wfview will connect to a wfview server regardless of whether the radio is on or off, I could only get SDR-Control to connect to wfview if the IC-7300 was powered on.

I had lots of oddities and issues, and because I couldn’t get it working, and because I didn’t own the 7300 at the time, I got a refund for SDR-Control (iPad version) from Apple.

I assume that there were more settings for me to tweak. I guess my question is: Can anyone confirm that SDR-Control (iPad) works as a client for wfview, using an IC-7300 as the radio? Now that I actually own an IC-7300, I would like to control it with my iPad, but I don’t want to buy SDR-Control again if it isn’t going to work.

Thanks.

• | - |

Hi, all.

For a couple months, I was borrowing an IC-7300, and I had to give that back a couple weeks ago, so I recently bought one. While I was borrowing that one, I tried wfview. wfview is super slick, but what I really want is to use SDR-Control on my iPad with my new 7300. (I wish I could afford a 7610 to have the built-in network support, but here we are, so…)

wfview to wfview worked great, but when I tried SDR-Control on my iPad, I found the audio to be super choppy even on my home WLAN. I found lots of other issues too – such as an inability to transmit (it took about 1 second to switch from RX to TX, making TX useless). Also, while wfview will connect to a wfview server regardless of whether the radio is on or off, I could only get SDR-Control to connect to wfview if the IC-7300 was powered on.

I had lots of oddities and issues, and because I couldn’t get it working, and because I didn’t own the 7300 at the time, I got a refund for SDR-Control (iPad version) from Apple.

I assume that there were more settings for me to tweak. I guess my question is: Can anyone confirm that SDR-Control (iPad) works as a client for wfview, using an IC-7300 as the radio? Now that I actually own an IC-7300, I would like to control it with my iPad, but I don’t want to buy SDR-Control again if it isn’t going to work.

Thanks.

hello Daniel, you have to ask Michael DL2YMR. he often tests it with SDR-Control and also with Wfview. he can definitely give you a tip! Vy 73 Jan - DL3KVT

hello Daniel, you have to ask Michael DL2YMR. he often tests it with SDR-Control and also with Wfview. he can definitely give you a tip! Vy 73 Jan - DL3KVT

Thanks, I’ll try contacting that user.

Also, this week I have read the entire IC-7300 “full” manual, and I watched the entire IC-7300 A to Z video series on YouTube, so I have a much better understanding of how to configure this radio. Maybe I had not fully configured the borrowed 7300, and maybe that caused issues. We’ll see, after I get my new one.

I am doing the same with a 7300. Using Wfview and SDRC on a macmini with 13.3 Ventura. Client is a 2011 MacBook pro with Open Core Legacy Patch Ventura 13.3 OS. SDR C crashes even after some updates to try to fix it.

I had this running on the MacBook with a Catalina OCLP and foolishly thought Ventuta would be better. Wfview works as a great server for the SDR C link. This is good post. Keep it flowing please…

I am using the latest of both packages against an IC-7300. I’ve tried a Raspberry Pi, Mac and Windows PC for the server and never had issues with the audio. My issues is always around getting it connected. Once connected, it works great. Windows has been the most reliable on getting it connected.

I’d ensure you’re using the fastest COM port speed you can and I’m using LPCM 16-bit for the audio in both directions. I’ve also had better luck with a wired ethernet connection, than WiFi.

In SDR Control, if you open up the network tool, are you seeing a high rate of errors?

Hello, I have the same question, and another: If not wfview, will SDR-Control talk to the Icom Remote Utility from RS-BA1? Dev would not commit.

73 John N8JJO

I tried v1 of the RS-BA1 as the server, but didn’t have luck. I would like to try v2 at some point.

All of these programs are using the same protocol to manage the connection and traffic.

What will be different is what features are implemented and of course only wfview and the Xiego X6100 support Opus (4:1 reduction in required connection bandwidth, it’s very cool).

If the SDR Control author wants to send us a copy we would gladly take a look at how well it works with the wfview server. There is a clear shared interest here. Our understanding is that this configuration (wfview server and the SDR Control application) generally does work, however, a lot of folks have poor wifi when it comes to real-time UDP streaming, which these programs require, and it is made worse with portable devices like the iPad which might not always be getting the greatest signal. Remember, download speed tests have little to do with real-time UDP performance. Things like retransmissions and dropped packets are almost invisible with normal TCP usage, but with UDP you’ll hear it as it happens!

I like to think that this is some large shared ecosystem of applications working together, and I hope we can foster growth among all these programs and use-applications.

I’m sorry that I don’t have any real advice here on SDR-Control – I have not used it myself. Definitely check out the log from wfview on the server side if you’re having difficulties.

–E
de W6EL

Thanks, all. I will get my 7300 soon, and plan to play with wfview more than I did with the loaner I had before. Before I look into SDR-Control again, I will just use wfview to wfview, on my home network.

My ham equipment is on the same desk as my iMac, and my iMac is the wfview host. (It is a server for other things as well.) I guess I should start by getting wfview-to-wfview completely solid, and once I have that working well, I can look into SDR-Control again.

It is very possible that the audio issues I had before were the result of using the wrong audio format.

Now that I’ll have my own IC-7300, I’ll do a lot more with it.

1 Like

That’s a good plan, working wfview to wfview first.

If Opus is the best audio, why do we have other options. I had a lot of issues getting audio to work and if there was just one option, the best for IC radios, then why have more?
Just asking to hopefully make this a lot easier in the future.

I do have Wfview to Wfview running from Oklahoma to Spain as long as u have a really fast connection in Spain. We have a Starlink system coming to the farm in Spain. I’ll let everyone know the results!

AC5LL
Steve

Because the server built into the current Icom rigs doesn’t support Opus

Now I know. But, since the 7300 doesn’t have a built in server, I should use it eh? Currently ulaw 8bit is working fine.

The point is the quality of Opus should be significantly better than 8 bit PCM (as it is 16 bit natively) and the bandwidth needed is massively lower (around 1/5th of 8bit PCM) that is why you should want to use it!

1 Like

I’ll switch it up when I get back but at 6000 miles from shack, not changing anything at the moment.

You gonna start handing out awards for furthest connection?

Where are you Steve? I’m in northeast Thailand. Rig is just outside Toronto, roughly 17,000 km.

I’m in Tarragona Spain. You have me beat! You are the winner