Setting Up My IC-7300

I am preparing excruciatingly detailed instructions for the friend in VE3 who hosts my remote station. I need to walk him through the 7300’s SET menus to make changes. I need to describe every button-press.

From the Getting Started | Radio Settings on wfview.org:

For serial port access radios (basically any radio connected with USB or with a serial port), you will need to set the CI-V “Unlink from [REMOTE] ” to (SET > Connectors > CI-V) true. Next, set the “CI-V USB Baud Rate” to 115200 (required for spectrum access). Finally, enable the “CI-V Transceive ” option, which provides wfview with a telemetry stream from the radio.

I don’t see any reference to “…(SET > Connectors > CI-V) true.” in the 7300 manual.

The rest I think I understand, but I might have more questions…

Thanks and 73,

Ken Alexander VE3HLS
So Phisai, Thailand (OK18rc)

Hi Ken,

I have a guide just for the 7300 right here:

Let me know if that helps. I run a 7300 remote with wfview as the server (listening to it right now actually), so I should be able to help you with this.

–Elliott
de W6EL

2 Likes

Thanks Elliot,

This should help a lot! My host in VE3 will need more handholding than this, but I’ll write that up for him… Your slideshow will help a ton in that regard.

Before we can start, I have to send him an SD card and get him to save the current settings to the card. Then save the new settings of yours that I will send to him…then switch back and forth as needed. Life would be so much simpler if Icom would let users save settings to a connected computer, not just an SD card.

That’s why I asked about RS-BA1 in the Forum. If I can remotely access the 7300’s Menu system then I’ll get the software and do everything remotely.

Thanks again and 73,

Ken Alexander VE3HLS

Ken,

you can mail the settings easily as long as the remote end knows how to copy/paste a file in combination
with an sd card.

Sorry Roeland, I don’t follow you.

When you say “mail the settings” do you mean e-mail? Or do you mean mail an SD card to my host in VE3? If you mean mail an SD card with the settings to Canada, I can’t do that because I don’t know how I could create a 7300 configuration file(s) here without a 7300.

Is “the remote end” my host (a person) or my computer in VE3?

Ken Alexander VE3HLS

ah ok. thought you would locally change the settings with a rig and send back a changed sd with whatever is needed.

sorry for the confusion

No such luck.

If I was able to operate a ham rig here I wouldn’t need one in Canada. I can’t get a ham license here. That privilege is only extended to foreigners from countries that have a reciprocal licensing agreement with Thailand, and Canada is not on that list.

Thanks anyway for your help. I appreciate it!

Ken

Hi Ken,

Please let me know what changes you need to make on the radio. If possible, we will try and make wfview more compatible with the default settings.

One tip, is that if you manually specify the CI-V address in wfview settings, then you can operate with “CI-V Transceive” on or off. You’re using the rig remotely, so there will not be an impact either way.

Let us know how it goes. Your usage case is exactly what we are working on improving.

–E
de W6EL

Hi Elliott,

After some struggling, I was able to get it going. I didn’t know about re-starting the software after saving changes.

One interesting thing; wfview knows it is connected to an IC-7300 but it never auto detected the…oh, I forget what it’s called, but the place where 94 is supposed to appear remains blank. I never filled it in. I manually told it to look on COM3.

I seem to be getting tripped up on Linux-only settings that don’t work in the Windows version…

Ken

Hi Ken.

Yes com port auto-detection is quite tricky on Windows. The way that HRD does it is by connecting to every com port in turn and sending rig commands to each one until it receives a response. With Linux, the port has a ‘known’ name so we can just look for a device with that name.

73 Phil

Hi Phil,

I guess sometimes you have to resort to brute force methods.

Interesting thing; I just started wfview with my 7300. On the Settings page there’s no entry for the manually entered CI-V address, even though the radio appears to work fine. I put a check in the Manual Radio CI-V Address box then enter “94” in the box for the number, Save Settings, Exit Program and then restart. When I return to the Settings page the box has been unchecked and the address (94) is missing.

Any thoughts?

Ken

Hi Ken.

If it is working, I wouldn’t worry about it too much, it looks like the CI-V address maybe isn’t being stored?

Thanks

Phil

~WRD0001.jpg

It does look like there is a bug in the CI-V address code, it is only allowing CI-V addresses below 0x7f but I think it should only allow them above 0x7e :blush:

This will be fixed in the next release.

73 Phil

~WRD0001.jpg

hello Phil I wanted to tell you last night, I think there is a bug in the CI-V code because I also found the same problem. Then there is a second problem, when I start WF on the ic7300 the meter I selected previously disappears, in practice it seems that WF resets the settings of the rtx. Another thing, after I started WF if I want to use wsjt for example without any other active software, I have to necessarily load the settings of the 7300 because it no longer recognizes the audio ports. Now I’m going to do more tests, but last night I had trouble getting the USB microphone working.

73 Ale iz4osh