Setting up remote site which will have internet connection

I’m trying to set up a remote site on behalf of our local radio club. I have the 7300 connected via the usb cable to a laptop and the wfview programme presentation on the laptop screen, waterfall, controls all working fine. I have the laptop setup as the server and the log confirms it is working. I’m not sure where to go from here regarding the external control screen or how one gets through the router.
I have one of our club members with the wfview downloaded trying to connect with no luck, we are both using my, same IP address.
The laptop is connected via wifi to the router
Would really appreciate any assistance from anyone who has a remote setup up and running.
Barry ZL2LN

I learned how to setup my router and server while configuring my IC-7610 (server) and my internet router after purchasing and using the ICOM RS-BA2 software. See ICOMs web page Instruction Manual / Guides | Support | Icom Inc. and youtube videos.

I set my IC-7610 server to a fixed (static) IP address, and I set up UDP port forwarding in my router to that address. I use Xfinity internet service, and my modem’s IP address is stable enough I just pointed my remote computer application to its address.

I suggest you practice using your “remote” computer on the local network with the server and 7300 before trying remote thru the internet.

Hi Barry,
Just been doing the same with a 7200 and have had it working remotely. May have some ideas if that would help,
Cheers
Errol ZL2IT

Have you read our manual page on this topic?
https://wfview.org/wfview-user-manual/remote-operation-server/

There are also lots of videos on youtube that show how to set this up.

Two computers cannot have the same IP address. That statement kind of worries me.

Your router does need to be adjusted for remote access.

–E
de W6EL

You will probably have to configure your router and firewalls to get access from outside your local network.
In my case I use Zerotier to connect to the server from remote machines.

Hi Errol

Many tnx for replying to my wfview query. I would love to have a chat to you via landline phone or on 80 mtr ssb.

Would you be happy to give me your phone number, we are on free national calls, and indicate a suitable time.

cheers & 73’s

Barry ZL2LN

Hi Barry,
yes no problem, give me a ring on 021490253 daytime probably best but evening is OK as well.
I am in napier.
Cheers
Errol

Hi Pepe

tnx for ur comment, am working on project.

Barry 73’s

One issue with remote access across the public Internet is that attackers are constantly probing all ports of all IP addresses to find a way to get into local networks. There are many ways to make remote access secure, but this is far to extensive a topic to address in any detail in this forum. I’ll just mention a couple things like setting up a VPN to access the local network and restricting what remote IP addresses can access the forwarded ports. Search the net for more info, as well as documentation your ISP and router vendor may offer.

Don’t forget though, many VPNs mangle UDP packets, which wfview needs for a solid connection.

But I agree with the gist of what you’re saying, be careful out there. I just open and close the port as needed.

Oops! Well, now I’m going to have to go test my VPN for UDP robustness. I’ve recently switched to Tailscale and mainly run TCP connections across it.

The main issue is that some VPNs reduce the MTU (maximum transmission unit) size which can cause audio packets to fragment and wfview has no method of reassembling fragments.

Ah. What sort of packet sizes should I test with? I think that Tailscale (which is an implementation of WireGuard) handles any segmentation internally, but can toss together a test that verifies the passage through the tunnel doesn’t produce fragments at the endpoints. FWIW, I don’t have any problems with remote file access, but haven’t yet tried to run any audio across it.

Anything that streams live 16-bit UDP audio. That’ll show it real quick.

Hi Eiiiot

Tnx for ur reply. Trying to get my head around things. May take a while, one of the replies was from another ZL whom i have contacted, he has the WFview up and running, and talking through his setup which he has operating.

Cheers meantime

Barry ZL2LN

I just spent some time running Wfview on a medium/low power laptop with LPCM 1ch 16bit audio streaming from an IC-9700, squelch open in SSB mode. Running with and without the VPN on my local network, also with the VPN across a cellular data connection and at my local library with an ADSL connection and a bunch of patrons on-line. VPN was Tailscale’s WireGuard implementation, Windows 10 on the client laptop and server on a Linux-based Synology NAS on the home LAN.

Generally there were no problems with Wfview reporting dropped packets nor audio artifacts as indicated by my ears, in lieu of obvious network problems or CPU saturation on the laptop. I’ve not run any synthetic tests, I figured that at least for now I’d just test with the application itself. I’ve also not run with any other VPNs as currently my VPN server is only supporting Tailscale and my latest cable modem/router upgrade has a port-forwarding bug which broke my L2TP tunnel (yes, I love my cable Internet provider…) - this was what initially caused me to try Tailscale (free for non-commercial use).