Sr. Citizen. Can't Connect To Icom R8600?

Hi,

Sounds good. Thanks.

Where are you located, so we can try to find something mutually convenient !

Bob

I am in Michigan. Look me up on QRZ, and send me an email.
Greg, KC8HXO

Hi Greg,

Whatever time is good for you ?
Really appreciate your going to all this trouble to help me. Thanks again.

So, let me know when, and I’ll get the magic number from Team Viewer.

I’m in Boston.
Let’s go by the time here in the East.

The two programs I’d really like to get working are WFView and also theRTSystems (for the Icom R8600) programming software,
Same problem ?

My guess is that it is the Driver(s) issue, with some COM Port problems s a second bet.

Let me know when (Boston time) ?
Anytime today, up to very early evening is fine.

Bob

Bob,
Let’s take this off list. Please eemail me directly. Username oldlongbeard and the domain is yahooo…I added an extra “o” to try to fool the bots.
Greg, KC8HXO

Hi Bob,
I actually use a R8600 with wfview, and it works perfectly well without ANY drivers at all.
I just have connected the R8600 to my internet router with a LAN-cable so that the receiver gets an IP address.
That IP address can be found on the R8600 via Menu > Set > Network screen 1/4 DHCP (Valid after restart) ON. That IP address will look something like 192.168.xxx.xx.
Then I start wfview and fill in that IP address in the “radio access” screen, I leave the control port to 50001 set an initial user name and password, I set the RX latency to 250 (no need for a TX setting of course) and the sample rate to 48000 and leave the RCX codec set to LPCM 1ch 16bit.
Now the only real prerequisite is the connection of the R8600 to the router. Can you manage to have a network cable conntected between one of the LAN port of the router to te R8600?
This way is absolutely preferable over an USB connection! Much faster spectrum/waterfall display.

Peter - PA0PJE

Hi Peter,

Will definitely try.
Thanks for the detailed instructions; it’s what I need.
And, for all the other past help.

Question: it seems all my Router spigots are taken.
Is there a way of splitting, or using a gadget like the USB Hubs, for
providing additional from the Router ?

(This seems like the best approach, but still very curious why I can't
 connect the other way.)

Regards,
Bob

You’ll want to get a gigabit ethernet switch to expand your router connections. You can get 5 or 8 port switches reasonable.

Hi Bob
Yes, I have a network cable that runs from my router to my shack. On the router side it is plugged in on one of the 4 available LAN connections. In the shack I use a D-Link switch model DGS-10008D that has 8 RJ45 LAN connectors. One of these in used as the connection to the incoming cable, the others can be connected at will to other devices that have a need for a LAN-connection. The switch (rather than a hub) is an intelligent thing that routes the data to the right addressed device, there is no need for any set-up. My switch is currently connected to the R8600, a Raspberry Pi, a Laptop and a desktop computer. I use both Linux and Windows. I have currently a connection running from the LAN connected Raspberry-Pi to an IC-705 via WiFi as well as a connection from the R8600 to the Linux computer via LAN on which I am typing this message now.
I hope this will be of help to make a decision how to solve your problem.
Best 73,
Peter - PA0PJE

Hi,
Thanks; good info. for me

Bob

2 pictures of the wfview screen with connection details fyi.

Hi,

Great, will help me.

I just ordered a new LAN cable which should arrive, hopefully,
in a few days. Really anxious to try out this alternate configuration.

Will let you know.

Would be nice to get this free app working, as the Icom “equiv.” is
apparently $ 170, which is crazy.

Sure would like to understand why I can’t connect via the USB though.
Really and truly tried just about everything.

Regards,
Bob

Hi Bob,

These are two screenshots made in Windows 10 using the same setup as in Linux, although it looks a bit different, it works more or less the same. The Linux version is somewhat more advanced.

Also in this case NO drivers used, just the latest Windows setup zip file currently available for Windows:
wfview v1.2d (beta) released 4th December 2021
I run the setup as administrator in Windows and allow all warnings Windows will produce…
Good luck and hope this will work for you,
Cheers,
Peter

Hi,

Ordered a new cable.

As soon as it is here, will try, and let you all know
how it worked out.

Thanks all for help; very appreciated.

Bob

Hi Peter et al,

Got the new cable connected, and am trying to set up.
Some progress (I think).

Questions please: On the bottom of the Settings screen it says on the very right; Invalid Username/Password.
Also, a green and blue dot, and “VONE”

Are these Something I select ? If so when ?
I tried inserting two new ones I just made up, but msg. remains.

Should I install a brand new version of program, and then select 2 new ones ?

Or, are these from way back when I installed the Comcast Modem and Router ? Are they perhaps passwords from either of these ?

Thanks,
Bob

Hi Bob,

You should set a user name and password in the receiver. That user name is set in the R8600 via Set > Network > Network User 1 ID. Next step is to set a password in the same screen at Network User 1 Password and set Network User1 Administrator to “Yes”. User Name end Password should then be used in wfview, as can be seen in my screenshots.Next to the blue and green dost wfview should sign “R8600”

It has nothing to do with the “modem passwords”

Good luck!
Peter