Sugestions

I really like wfview, thank you for your effort. I would like to have a few suggestions:

1. The frequency is difficult to read - for example 14.245680. Please add a decimal point. 14.245.680 is much better. The best is 14.245.68, as it is on Icom radios.

2. The speed of the waterfall is a little bit high. Would it be possible to add waterfall speed setting?

3. Double-click tuning on the waterfall - one-click is better and more precise.

4. The frequencies above the waterfall should have the same number of decimal places. Now: 3.515 - 3.52 - 3.525 - 3.53. Better is: 3.515 - 3.520 - 3.525 - 3.530.

73, Roman OM3EI

Hi Roman,

1. Thatā€™s a good idea about the frequency readout. Weā€™ll probably do that soon.
  2. You can adjust the speed on the radio, however, it is something that weā€™ll consider adding to the program.
  3. I had not considered about double clicking being less precise. Hmm. Maybe Iā€™ll try that out and see how it feels.
  4. This is a good point. Iā€™ve not even looked at how to do this properly. Iā€™ll see if we can adjust that parameter.

What operating system and radio are you using?

Thanks, and glad you are liking it,

ā€“E
de W6EL

I do like using the single click as a frequency marker when hunting noise and interference without actual wanting to select the frequency to hear the noise.

Maybe keep the short click and add long one click to change to new frequency selected.

Hi Peter,

Thatā€™s a good point too. We can also do things like control-click and shift-click. Probably also ā€œright-clickā€.

When we do Release 2, we will have some interesting things to consider with the waterfall and spectrum plot, including what we are calling ā€œoverlaysā€, which might be:

• Passband indication
  • Memory locations
  • temporary ā€œI clicked hereā€ markers
  • DX Spots
  • Satellite transponder / telemetry locations

Maybe other things. Itā€™s a chance to re-work all the code and features of the waterfall. And so, we would definitely look at ways to mark a spot, so to speak.

Letā€™s keep this thread going!

ā€“E
de W6EL

Oops, I hadnā€™t even noticed the single click to note a frequency! I had been going to suggest that you could add a frequency marker that follows the mouse pointer but maybe I donā€™t need it now :slight_smile:

Definitely agree on the waterfall frequencies needing to be consistent - Iā€™ve got 1, 2 and 3 decimal places at the moment which does make it harder to read

Cheers
Martin

Also maybe incorporating a local and utc clocks up the top right corner of main display, again if performance is not taken away from waterfall

Peter

1 Like

I did see this idea where they had like a bandplan across the bottom. Settable to IARU regions. Maybe as overlay if didnā€™t kill waterfall performance

2 Likes

Hi Peter,

I could see that as a pop-out view. Iā€™d also like one that looks like a huge old short wave radio analog dial!

Anyone here good at artwork?

ā€“E
de W6EL

Not sure if anyone in keen but allow remap the keyboard shortcuts for personal preference.

Hi Elliot,

Ad 2: Adjusting speed of WF on the radio does not affect wfiew.

Ad 3: Double click with a mouse is quite precise, but touch display is another story. I use also RS-BA1 and there is one-click. Nice and easy. I didnā€™t realize the frequency readout in the left bottom corner after one-click. Maybe it could be there without clicking. When the mouse is in the spectrum window, there is an actual frequency position in bottom left. And one-click can be QSY.

You asked what OS and radio I use - Win10 and IC-705

Roman

Hi Roman.

The waterfall speed is governed by the radio, wfview simply displays what the radio is sending, so changing the waterfall speed on the radio ā€˜doesā€™ affect wfview! The speed is controlled by the MENU/2 speed button on the display (FAST/MID/SLOW).

73 Phil

Hi Phil,

I donā€™t know, in my case it doesnā€™t affect. When I change the speed on IC-705, I see changed speed on radio, but in wfview no change.

Roman

Hi Roman.

I just tried this on my IC705 with wfview connected over WiFi and changing the waterfall speed on the radio definitely changed the speed of the wfview waterfall. I have also verified this on my IC9700 and IC7610.

73 Phil

Hi Phil,

you are right. There are two settings of WF speed. I tried EXPD/SET - Waterfall Speed and there is no change. You tried MENU/2 - SPEED and it is OK. Iā€™m still learning :slight_smile:

Roman

Hi Elliot,

Is there any way to make the function of screen snapshot of the waterfall

Peter

Hi Peter,

You can always run a screenshot program from your OS. And you can uncheck ā€œEnable WFā€ to pause the dispaly. But no, I have not provided a button to save the waterfall as an image. An interesting idea. Maybe we could assign a keystroke for it in our next release.

ā€“E
de W6EL

N1MM program has an excellent Spectrum display function. However, it only works with a USB connection to the IC-705. Neither the Icom Remote utility nor wfview provide waterfall data for other programs. N1MM has the ability to read this data via UDP broadcast. Is the development team considering sharing WF data for N1MM?

Hi Roman.

Yes this is something that I have thought of, mainly because I have already done it in another program that I wrote for the SunSDR transceivers called VSELink ( https://m0vse.uk/22-release-of-vselink-for-n1mm-expertsdr2.html ).

To add this functionality to wfview is considerably easier as VSELink has to perform FFT on the incoming data, whereas all we need to do for wfview is package the received spectrum data into an XML file and forward it to the necessary port.

We will add this to the roadmap.

73 Phil M0VSE

~WRD0001.jpg

Thank you for your answer Phil and Iā€™m glad it will be in the roadmap.

73, Roman

Suggestion update.

when using profiles for the same radio (eg IC-705 wlan or usb, could the profile file name be displayed in the title bar after the application name.

73, PK