Support for RC-28 USB encoder planned?

7610 with latest firmware. Previous versions of WFView, including nightly builds work fine. I’m completely remote so I am unable to check any setting on the radio.
I am using the RC-28, but I am having this issue without it connected and disabled.

Thanks

Hi Gordon,

I wrote that OUT OF RANGE function, so you can blame me :slight_smile: for this ridiculous behavior.

To be clear, are you connecting to the 7610 over the 7610’s built-in Ethernet connector? The more details you can tell us the better. My 7610 isn’t doing this and I’m trying to replicate it.

Thanks,

–E
de W6EL

One thought Gordon, what do you have set within wfview Settings\External Control under Waterfall Format? This should be Default or Single, it must not be Multi as that may cause this issue.

Thanks

Phil

No blame at all. This a a fantastic project!
Phil has helped resolve this by having me select ‘Single (network)’ in the Waterfall format.

Keep up the great work folks!

1 Like

And yes, the connection is directly via the built in Ethernet port.

Is there any info which keys are defined now for that ?
I couldn’t find any (new) info on the keystroke page.

BTW, ShuttleXpress wheel is now working great, thanks !

The manual will be updated over the next few weeks.

Which keys are you asking about exactly? I wasn’t clear from your question.

–E
de W6EL

If you mean the button programming of your Shuttle, that’s configured in settings/External Control USB Controller. If you have used the shuttle with wfview before, it is worth pressing both of the reset (commands/buttons) buttons as well.

Phil

I would be interestet in:

— set a button to be transmit on press and receive on release!

— buttons set up for the common modes

— a button for tuning steps

— (It even works without keyboard/mouse “focus” meaning, you can use
the controller while other programs are running and wfview is
minimized or on another desktop)

With this info I can start builduing my desired controller where I
have the wfview screen (on a tablet [Asus VivoTab Smart on Windows 8])
and below a hardware controller like a real transceiver.

The ShuttleXpress wheel should be replaced with something like this:

All of those options are available within button programming…

Ah I found it now. It is under "Setup → External Control → Enable
USB Controllers → Setup USB-Controller " … Wow even within
wfview.

Is the ShuttleXpress-driver still needed ?

Thanks for the fast response.

No it won’t work If the shuttlexpress driver is loaded (at least I don’t think it will!)

Until now I tried v1.59 the old way (with driver and keystrokes+/- for
jog wheel) and this worked fine.
I will try it the new way without driver .

So I uninstalled the ShuttleXpress driver and set up the external control.

What I have observed is that the ShuttleXpress PTT On/Off (on key 1)
is (in v 1.59) about half a second to 1 second slower than with mouse
control.

Changing the freq steps (with key 4 + 5) doesn’t appear to have this delay.

Maybe try 1.60? I have just tried the x64 version on my Windows 10 PC and there is no noticeable delay at all between pressing/releasing the button I have programmed for PTT and the rig acting on the command.

Hi Elliot,

It’s a public holiday here today (Monday) so I installed V1.6 today on my M1 Macbook and really appreciate the frequency UP/DOWN using the L and H keys you added. Thank you so much. That is so much easier than clicking on the VFO knob before being able to use the LEFT/RIGHT or UP/DOWN arrow keys.

Just in case 1.6 had support for the RC-28 I plugged it in and my macbook immediately detected the RC-28 and popped up a box on the screen. It didn’t work on Wfview of course but under System Settings it shows the controller is connected and has some techinfo. Is a screenshot of that info of any use to you?

Also my USB controller is nearly here from China so will try that as well.

On my 7610 I often long press the change button to copy the main VFO into the second VFO as a temporary store while I am waiting for a QSO to end so I can call that station. I am then free to tune around and regularly come back to the QSO with a short click of the CHANGE button which swaps the VFO frequencies. I also use this to find a clear frequency when in QSO with QRM.

l tried using your memories to do this and it works but takes multiple clicks and the memories don’t show the frequency stored which would be helpful.

I wonder if it might be reasonably quick for you to add a CHANGE button on the main screen to do this as a small step towards dual VFO support as that button will be needed then? Be nice if you also showed a small display of the second VFO frequency but that is not essential.

Regards PETER ZL2LD

Hi Peter,

Have you looked in the Rpt/Split window? We have a Swap button which swaps main and sub. I wonder if that will do what you need? There is also an M=S button for VFO equalization.

The USB Controller code actually is there, but I guess we have a bug on macOS. We will look into it soon. It’s difficult to remember to check each feature on each platform!

Keep the feedback flowing,

—E
de W6EL

That is great – would it be possible to also put M=>S and Swap MS on the main screen – there is plenty of space above the Preamp/Att box. That gives us the most commonly used features of dual VFO with one click.

Hi Peter.

Sadly we can’t test whether the RC28 works on MacOS as none of us actually owns an RC28! Hopefully I will have one to test soon so should be able to fix the MacOS issue.

The problem is everybody wants different things on the main screen! We have a plan to address this which will hopefully make it into the next version.

73 Phil M0VSE

Hi Peter,

I have discovered the problem with MacOS, and USB controllers are now working in a test branch called usb-macfix. We will continue testing this for the next few days and then if OK push to master.

We might also do a new release for MacOS as I have completely re-written the device discovery code.

73 Phil M0VSE