Two connections

This may be a silly question, but here goes. Is it possible to connect MacLogger and Wfview to the same radio. Using a Mac.

Thanks

1 Like

Hi Dan,

It’s a common question really, no problem. In the User Manual, we cover how to share control between wfview and other programs. Basically, you will open up wfview first, create a virtual serial port under the Settings tab, and then open up MacLogger and connect to the virtual port as though it were a real serial port. I haven’t done it myself with MacLogger, but the interface should be quite transparent.

–Elliott
de W6EL

HI Dan,

I have tried various MacOS software with wfview and the problem is that MacLoggerDX only supports ‘real’ serial port devices so there is no way (in the GUI) to select our pty (pseudo terminal) device.

I have tried manually editing the MacLoggerDX preferences (plist) file but the setting gets overwritten as soon as I start MacLoggerDX so unfortunately, it won’t be possible to use this application with wfview unless they add the ability to use non-standard serial ports.

73 Phil M0VSE

Hi Dan,

I have been working with Don at Dog Park Software over the last few days and he has released a beta that supports the wfview virtual serial port (pseudo tty). I have done some brief testing with wfview 1.1a and it seems to work OK.

You simply need to select a virtual serial port in wfview (not none) and restart wfview then add support for this in MacLoggerDX with the following command (from Terminal):

defaults write com.dogparksoftware.MacLoggerDX dp_virtual_serial_port "wfview virtual serial port filename"

You can then select this port within the rig configuration of MacLoggerDX.

73 Phil M0VSE

1 Like

Works like a charm. Thank you!

With the latest MacDoppler and MacLoggerDX betas, the virtual serial port (pseudo-terminal) name has been added to the Radio preferences dialogs removing the need for the Terminal command.

73 Don Agro VE3VRW

1 Like

Hi Don,

I just want to thank you for adding virtual serial port support in your programs. We really like MacDoppler and MacLoggerDX and look forward to working together and bringing people more great software.

I am looking towards adding more support for satellite ops in wfview (such as overlays in the waterfall for satellite passband, telemetry markers, main/sub band readout, etc).

Let us know if you run into any compatibility issues,

–Elliott
de W6EL