Upgrade to newest ver

Should upgrade to latest version always? I’m using laptop with windows 10

I would :slight_smile: but only if you have the current version working.

Elliot, thanks for prompt response, I was wondering it new updates have additional features or just bug fixes.
Again thanks for your help….Wk4b

Hi Terry,

Our strategy is to make sure that whatever is in the master branch is not going to do any harm and generally runs without crashing. Releases and Beta releases come from what we feel is well-tested master branch code. Weekly and Daily builds also come from the master branch.

If you want to see what’s being changed, check the “WHATSNEW” file in the master branch (contains the latest few changes) or the commit history log, which will show you every little thing anyone has committed. If you want a good pulse on any open source project, the commit history is usually the best place to start.

And of course anything exciting will get posted here :-). Over on Patreon, you can find discussions, screenshots, and video demonstrations of features we’re working on.

Basically, there are bug fixes, new bugs, and new features coming out all the time :). I don’t think we really have a strategy as to what gets done first, although we do prioritize any kind of stability fixes. Since we’re all having so much fun, we tend to just chase after whatever we individually feel like addressing.

–E
de W6EL

there also is some form of shorted commit history in the file CHANGELOG · master · Elliott Liggett / wfview · GitLab

Ok, so I downloaded the most recent version and didn’t work, didn’t show the corners of screen even when I did f-11. So then tried Togo back to the beta version I was using. Tried to remove the latest version and couldn’t remove see attached screenshot.

Hi Terry,

If you downloaded one of our Weekly builds, the filename should look like this:

wfview-master-20220829--03-00-01.exe  

And of course, after you downloaded it, you need to have placed it into the same folder that you already had your prior version of wfview.exe. You can and really should keep the weekly build version named exactly as it is when you download it. This way you can tell what version is what. From the screenshot, I have no idea, they all seem to be named the same thing. I can also say that the weekly builds of wfview are only 2 MiB or so in size. So my guess is the screenshot is showing not-beta-versions, perhaps even zip files of our release version, I’m not really sure.

I think it is likely, given the above, that you did not actually run the beta. You may have run an older version by mistake. I don’t use Windows though, so I could be totally wrong in my assumption. Use the “About” button in wfview to see what version you have (it will show the version directly under the wfview logo in the about screen).

How about checking very carefully if you had the Weekly build? Verify the filename and that it is in your existing wfview folder, and then double-click the weekly build exe. See if you can then see that it is indeed the correct version. I think it will be worth it, the latest builds have some fantastic new features and improvements.

–E
de W6EL

Since I installed the program without uninstalling it, multiple pieces of installation information remain.
The best way to sort this out is to uninstall and reinstall everything.

An example of how to use the public_builds version.
It’s just a way to clarify which version you’re using.
Download the public_builds version and copy it to the installation version folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\wfview).
If you want to use the public_builds version, open (C:\Program Files (x86)\wfview) and run the desired public_builds version

DE JG3HLX NAKAO

1 Like

So if I have version 1.2e running now. Should I download the weekly build to the same file location and then run the weekly build to update the software, sorry for so many questions! Thanks

Hi Terry,

No problem. Just download the weekly build, save the exe in the same location, and then run the weekly exe file. This will run the updated version. The 1.2e that you already have will stay there and can be used any time.

Also, thank you @Nakao! I appreciate it!

–E
de W6EL

Ok, so i downloaded the wfview-win-1.2d (1).zip however it want unzip to a different folder than Wfview ? Am I downloading the wrong file?

I thought you wanted to try a weekly build? The weekly builds are here:
https://www.wfview.org/public_builds/

–E
de W6EL

1 Like

You need to install 1.2e first though (just download it, unzip and run the installer) as there are some libraries that were added in this release that are required for the weekly builds to run.

73 Phil M0VSE

Elliot, I finally got it thru my thick head and got latest weekly build installed. Now just another question when I transmit shouldn’t I see it on the waterfall screen? It was working on previous beta version. Thanks again……

Hi Terry,

You should see the transmit audio in the waterfall only when the waterfall is in “Center” mode. This is a limitation of the Icom waterfall display, unfortunately. Try switching to “Center” mode and see if it comes back.

–E
de W6EL

Bingo! That solved the problem. Thanks!