User Interface Settings

Hi Group,

I’m back after a long absence. I see many additions to wfview, which is very encouraging! I installed 1.61 and am tweaking it and have a few comments:

-. Settings: In choosing the spectrum fill colour, I picked a colour and wfview told me the opacity was currently set to zero (0), and did I want to change it. I did, and the result was not opaque enough for me, so I went back to bump it up a little. However, it looks like a one-time adjustment because I can’t get the opacity control back. If it was me, I would have included the opacity control in the colour picking window so it is always available.

• Settings: I have my colour scheme preset to Dark. Changing it to white only affects the colour of the spectrum background, not the rest of the front control panel like I thought. My problem is the labels on the panel are tough for me to read. Small gray text on a dark gray background doesn’t provide enough contrast to make for easy reading. And the slider controls are practically impossible to see. The contrast is far too low for my eyes. Any chance you could add a control the set the colour of the “slot” the slider slides in? Making it a lighter colour would be a big improvement.

I haven’t tried transmitting yet. Will do that this afternoon. I have a 5 hour job running on the CNC router (in the same room) and have to wear ear protection to retain my sanity!

Keep up the good work!

Ken VE3HLS
So Phisai, Thailand OK18sc

Hi Ken,

Great to hear from one of our first users!

Yes, 1.61 sure has a lot of updates.

The Opacity control is always there, but it may be hard to notice. The warning message is designed to help people not accidentally assign completely transparent (invisible) colors. Otherwise, in the normal color picker dialog box, the “Alpha channel” adjustment is what you’re looking for. A setting of 0 is fully transparent, and 255 is opaque. This setting is in the lower-right of the color picker dialog, just under the blue. Here’s an annotated image to help, attached.

If the interface colors are all generally too dark, you may want to try checking the box “Use System Theme” in Settings under “User Interface”. When you press “Use System Theme”, wfview will change so that it matches the theme of the rest of your operating system. This could be nice or it might just be super bright white, it will depend on your operating system.

I had not thought about user controls for the UI color scheme. It is a CSS file, similar to what web pages use, and there is a user override option, however, editing this file is not trivial and is probably something almost nobody will want to do. Hmm. I will think about it. It may be possible to do some kind of in-situ theme editor. Interesting!

Hope your machining goes well. I know many machinist; it’s such an interesting trade.

–E
de W6EL

Hi Elliott,

Sorry for the delay, my wife and I went to the big city for a few days of shopping and R&R.

I didn’t equate Alpha Channel with Opacity. I’ll go try the “Use System Theme” trick and see how it works. Will let you know.

I’m no machinist. I’m retired (5 years) and have taken an interest in machining after beginning on a part time venture. I operated on amateur satellites for the last few years before I moved here and have begun manufacturing carbon fiber booms for the popular Arrow VHF/UHF yagi antennas that many satellite operators. They weigh 1/3 the weight of the stock aluminum boom. I use a small tabletop CNC router to drill accurate holes, cut parts out of carbon fiber and to engrave call signs into the booms. It’s been a great learning experience. I think if I had to do it all over again I would have become a machinist and gotten into the trade!

Ken VE3HLS

Use System Theme did the trick. It’s nice and contrasty now. Thanks again Elliott!

Ken VE3HLS