Very laggy over wifi and disconnects

I am using an Icom 9700 over LAN when i connect via wifi from my laptop it’s very laggy, the audio is stop start and the waterfall is the same. After some random time it disconnects from the radio and won’t let me reconnect.
I then have to go to the radio and turn it off then on again to be able to reconnect the software.
I can view Youtube videos all day long via wifi without any loss of buffering from the same laptop.

Any ideas why this only happens using Wfview.

Win 10
100 MB internet
Icom 9700

1 Like

Hi Andrew.

There is a world of difference between Youtube and streaming realtime audio unfortunately. One thing that realtime audio is very intolerant of is high latency connections.

From the PC, can you open a Command Prompt (cmd.exe) and enter:

ping <ip address of radio>

And post the result?

I regularly connect to my rigs over WiFI and have zero problems. Which version of wfview are you using as there are some improvements in v1.1 for audio?.

73 Phil M0VSE

One thing also worth mentioning, eventually (after about 5 minutes) you would be able to reconnect to the rig. This means that the connection has been lost and because wfview wasn’t able to disconnect from your rig ‘cleanly’ the rig will wait for a few minutes before realizing this and closing the connection (allowing you to reconnect)

73 Phil

Hi Phil

I got it working, i was going via a wifi extender and tried moving the laptop and going via the router using wifi and it was fine. I have since rebooted my router and that seems to cured the problem as i can now use the wifi extender downstairs again.
I have been using Wfview now for several hours without any lagging or disconnects. Just one thing is the tuning step keeps defaulting back to 100Hz each time i restart the software even though i keep setting it to 12.5KHz and pressing save settings.
I have most frequency’s in memory channels so the ability to move via the memories will be great if they add that function in a future release.

Pinging 192.168.0.10 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.0.10: bytes=32 time=3ms TTL=255

Ping statistics for 192.168.0.10:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 3ms, Maximum = 3ms, Average = 3ms

73 Andy M7GZZ

Hi Andy,

That’s great news!

With the step size, this is something that we are working on but we didn’t want to just store the last step size as that may not be appropriate for the band/mode in use.

Yes rig memories is another feature that is on the roadmap!

73 Phil

note also that some ways of setting up wireless where the rig sees multiple access points or mesh members, may make it wonky too.

I have discussed this with ICOM as well as some full time network engineers (I do it partly) and he conclusion towards ICOM is that the network stack of the 705 is not good enough implemented. Now while I feel that they should fix this asap, I also understand the ROI ion this. Would it sell more 705’s? How much work is it etc… so…