Wfview as a linux service

More suggestions …
Is it possible to make a version of wfview that is server-only, without on-screen buttons, and that can function as a linux service?
It might be interesting to install on an RPi, as a standalone network server for those radios that do not have a network connector. Plug & play. It would simply connect a USB cable, a network cable and power the rasp.
The configuration could be edited in the file with a text editor and once configured there would be no need to think about it anymore.

1 Like

Hi Jordi.

A “wfserver” standalone application is already planned along with an RPi image, it is just a question of available time to do it! It isn’t on the roadmap at the moment as we have no specific target date for this.

73 Phil M0VSE

2 Likes

HI Phil, thanks!
If I can make anythink…

As a brand new almost radioamateur (just registered my callsign and now waiting for my license card from AT…) and IT guy, I am looking for a way to use my IC-7300 from any device and stumbled upon Wfview. It seems to be a great tool for the job and I want to thank all who have sacrificed their free time to develop and maintain it.

Looking forward to a ‘daemonized’ version… ;o)

Hi Ron,

congrats to the new license.

I don’t know for which usecase a daemo ized version should be useful. The daemon is the rig, wfview is a GUI.

So the only usecase may be an HTML5 version so you can use your rig with an ordinary web browser.

73s, Jens/DH1AKY

Hi Jens.

That’s not quite accurate. Wfview contains a server portion for use with rigs that don’t contain their own network server (IC7300, 7100 etc.) We are planning to create a separate program (wfserver) which contains just this server with no GUI.

73 Phil M0VSE

2 Likes

Hi Phil,

Thanks. I’m looking forward to many QSO’s… ;o)

What I meant with service/daemon is a setup that runs without any desktop software installed on the system, using a generated/edited settings file to start the daemon or service without having a GUI running on the server. Or is that already possible once the setup is done?

Thanks Phil for the correction,
I didn’t consider that, my mistake.

73s, Jens/DH1AKY

Hi Ron,

We’re definitely working on this. A stand-alone server version has been a goal for a long time, it’s just a matter of our time being split between the GUI, back-end work, streaming audio, audio plugins, satellite modes, adding radio features, fixing bugs…

All the server code is quite modular, we just have to rip it out from the GUI’s main event thread and build a proper server daemon for it to sit inside. There are also some interesting things to address with the audio when running outside of a desktop environment.

–E

1 Like

jajaja
Explained like this, it really is an important job.

the truth is that a version of wfview (wfserver) could be made very well focused and compiled by a specific version of hardware (rpi?) that could be downloaded and configured in an SD for “novices” in the style of the popular PI-Star for example.
Considering the amount of icom radios with USB port (basically IC7300) that have been sold, I think it would be a product really valued and known by the HAM community.
The remote GUI is without a doubt the best I’ve seen for this device. For me, it’s better than what the manufacturer provides.

1 Like

I would love this. Have plently of PI’s and my shack rig is a 7300 so more then happt to help test is this came about.