Wfview as a panadapter only over eithernet

I’m trying to set up a better panadapter on my laptop for FD. I have SatPC32 running on the USB comport. What I’m trying to do is connect my 9700’s Ethernet port to my laptop. It shows up as an “unidentified network” in WIN10. I have the 9700 configured as 192.168.0.10 , but notice the DHCP field is blank. How do I get the WIN10 laptop to recognize the 9700 over a cabled Ethernet connection?

73 Jeff kb2m

Hi Jeff.

If you don’t have a DHCP server on your network then you need to configure both the 9700 and your PC with a static IP address (it looks like your 9700 may already be configured this way?) If so then you just need to configure your PC with an address on the same subnet (192.168.0.11 for example). wfview should then be able to connect to your 9700.

73 Phil M0VSE

Doesn’t appear to be a simple thing to do. I find several ways to do but all require a default gateway?? I don’t have a clue on what to put in there as I’m not using a gateway, I’m trying to connect a direct Ethernet cable from the laptop to the radio. No network involved…

73 Jeff kb2m

If you don’t have a gateway then you can safely leave it blank.

Phil

I tried that, and I also made one up and set on both ends. I think that should of worked. No joy either way…

73 Jeff kb2m

Hello, sorry for the inconvenience, I meant that the debug .sin file does not work here, there are problems at the DLL level and I do not see the form to be able to load the project correctly.

73 Ale

Hi Ale,

Please create a new thread describing your exact problem (rather than hijacking an existing one!)

The .sln file does work but you probably haven’t installed the necessary pre-requisites so please describe the error that you receive.

73 Phil

Hi Jeff.

You need to make sure that you have connectivity between the PC/9700 as without this there is no way to get wfview to work!

This webpage describes how to set a static IP in Windows Setting a Static IP Address in Windows 10

Once set, assuming the radio IP address is 192.168.0.10, the following in a command prompt should elicit a response from the radio:

ping 192.168.0.10

73 Phil

Ok Phil I open the thread.

The files are installed inside the debug folder including the .exe file, I wanted to understand how to create a link with my log project.

73 Ale

I can ping the 9700 and get a 1ms response. But I’m still not able to get wfview to talk to the 9700. I’m thinking the 9700 Ethernet is not capable of doing this. Hopefully someone reading this knows better…
Correction, I cannot ping the 9700. I tried mistakenly pinged the address of the local connection on the PC…
73 Jeff kb2m

Hi Jeff

If you can ping it then wfview should definitely be able to connect to it. It is worth verifying that CI-V transceive is enabled on the 9700. Do you get any messages at the bottom of the wfview screen when you click connect?

73 Phil

Success! I had to use the IP address I created on the Ethernet adapter on the laptop as the gateway address in the 9700. I will let you know if any issues develop. Now I have a nice panadapter display for my FD satellite demo’s. Thanks…

73 Jeff kb2m

Brilliant, hope it goes well for you.

73 Phil

the gw is your router’s ip address and even if it works without, you definitely should not omit it. it would fail for femote operations like time management too.