Wfview installed but not launching

Please provide the following information with your question:

1. Operating System: Latest MINT
  2. Method of download attempted (from wfview.org, package manager, source code, etc): wfview.org
  3. Radio Model: IC-7300
  4. Method of radio connectivity (USB, WiFi, Ethernet, etc): USB
  5. Did you check the FAQ and read the manual? Yes

I installed wfview on Linux Mint.It seems to have installed OK, but when I click the launch icon nothing happens. Any ideas?

Hi Steve,

Can you open a terminal and type “wfview” and press enter? Let me know if you see errors.

—E
de W6EL

I get:

wfview: error while loading shared libraries: librtaudio.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Hi Steve,

It looks like you have installed the linux binary of wfview. I apologize but this basically does not work and I have been meaning to pull it.

You could try searching on apt for the missing library:
apt-cache search librtaudio

And then install the file with something like this:
sudo apt-get install librtaudio6

However, my guess is that you will run into another set of errors.

I recommend that you instead use our build script to simply build wfview for your system. You can see a video of the process on our website, it’s pretty simple.

Please let me know how it goes,

–E
de W6EL

OK, building from source worked. I have this wfview instance running on a Linux Mint platform, connecting to a Windows 10 wfview server in turn connected to the IC-7300 via USB cable.

On this new server instance I get these ALSA errors (a whole stream of them):

ALSA lib pcm.c:8568:(snd_pcm_recover) underrun occurred

and audio sounds like it is in an echo tunnel. I’m using the recommended USB codec audio choices. Other than audio, the client instance is able to control the radio fine. Any suggestions?

There is no such thing as a ‘recommended’ setting, it is different for everybody. Try one of the other audio systems, there are 3 choices, QT, RTAudio and PortAudio (you must disconnect first). You can also try reducing the sample rate, 16K is a reasonable choice. Underruns usually occur if the machine cannot get audio processed in time.

OK, spent a couple hours troubleshooting. It seems no possible combination of audio system, sound source, and COM port works. (There are alot of these to work through, which is why I was hoping for some guidance to zero in on it.)

In searching through the forum for similar issues (there seem to be many), I saw one response saying that audio in wfview at the computer directly connected to the radio is not implemented. Is that true? What if someone wants to remotely connect to their directly-connected computer via VNC or nomachine? There will be no audio for them in that case. Also, for troubleshooting, it is useful to be able to ensure the audio at the directly connected wfview instance is working.

Hi Steve,

Indeed, there is no reason to use the audio in wfview unless you are running a wfview server or connecting remotely to a radio.

–E
de W6EL

I just listed a couple of reasons to use the audio in wfview at the local (to radio) computer. Saying there is no reason to use audio locally is like saying there is no reason cars should have headlights – we should only drive during the day right? And never drive through tunnels during the day. In other words, there are other situations where lights (and audio) are useful.

The primary reason for needing audio at the local (to radio) computer is that when running multiple ham programs on that computer, and running it headless with a remote login, audio is needed. With the current wfview setup (as I understand it anyway), I need to run wfview locally, and another instance remotely, to get audio. In this case wfview is duplicating one of the functions of the remoting software (like nomachine) and that is wasteful.

But I agree that running the two instances can work.

Audio is already AT the local computer and all operating systems provide methods to listen to it if required.

the current way of operation is to be:

a) at the rig’s place, where the rig outputs your audio. No need to fiddle with audio on your computer.
b) if remove, you need to have wfview in “server mode” or run wfserver - being headless. You won’t even see it on your screen. In that case, wfview will connect to wfserver, on your computer.
(in fact this is how it works when you have a lan connected rig – where “wfserver” is IN the rig.)

Now, wfserver works for most people but you need to build it yourself and you are on your own for this moment.

And if you really want audio – the audio devices of the rig are there, you can use them. And if a different program uses the audio you have those nice tools that can duplicate audio and such.

Regarding the headlights: again – if you want sound – wfview will control the speaker locally.
The USB cable specs won’t allow you to have the rig in a different room. Think a few meters from the rig you still will hear the noise.