wfview shuts down immediately

Hello. I am setting up a client in Windows 11, and while struggling to get audio, I was trying different output and input devices under Portaudio and RT Audio. The client software got to a state that as soon as you start the program, it immediately shuts down. I have attempted to uninstall and reinstall, but I get the same result. Using Windows Add/Remove still leaves a folder in Program Files (x86), but even if I uninstall and then delete the wfview folder there, the software still shuts down immediately (after what I think is a new installation). Thanks for working on this project, I am excited by it, but currently struggling to make it work.
Scott K8SSK

Hi Scott,

Adding and removing wfview won’t fix anything, as it’ll just put the same thing back in place. So I wouldn’t spend too much time fussing over it.

What radio are you controlling and via what means is it connected?

Thanks,

–E
de W6EL

Scott, I had the same issue each time I started Wfview. I had about 3 seconfs before it quit, and the log did not show any issues. If I recall how I got past this issue, it was:

Installed the latest nightly build 1205 13-19-02 from the public builds page
Installed the latest portaudio, Qtl5xml, opus driver from the same diretory as above
Restarted wfview, I may have had to quickly select the PortAudio system on the Radio Access settings page, and the Speakers/Headphone and Stereo Mix output and input respectively.p and Save Settings.
I am running Windows 10 on a Dell 7480 with a SSD.

Hi Elliott. Thanks for the response. It’s an IC-7300 connected to a Windows 10 machine via USB. Local control works great, but no audio from connected machine. Client machine is Windows 11 laptop. Control works great over IP, but again no audio. I was reading this forum and understanding that others had similar issues, and saw suggestions to try (RTaudio and portaudio). I did, and was changing audio devices on the client machine when this started (on the client machine)

I am not currently sure which audio device is selected within the client machine, as Wfview won’t stay running long enough for me to get into the settings.

Thanks again for your response.
Scott K8SSK

Bob, thank you for that input. I will give that a shot after work. I haven’t so far been fast enough to get into the settings before the application closes.
Scott K8SSK

Hi Scott,

You will want to look at the Log to see what audio device the server side is using. I recommend using Qt Audio as the back end on windows initially as it seems to work for most people. When you press Log in wfview, scroll up and see what audio device is being used on the server side. Of course, it should be the 7300 Burr-Brown USB CODEC or something similar to that. Check both the audio input and audio output. Again, it must be shown in the log to actually be using it.

Once you are sure you have it set correctly, then we can work on the client side in a similar way with the log.

And as always, have a look at the documentation if you haven’t already.

–E
de W6EL