Wfview stalls on startup

I get this far and then wfview just stalls. Running 1.64 on Windows 11. (Timestamp removed)

INF system: Received CommReady!!
INF default: Setting rig state for wfmain
INF udp: UDP Stream bound to local port: 59408 remote port: 50004
INF udp: Closing UDP stream : “148.170.35.169” : 50004

The ip address is the out facing address of the router.

Ports 50004-50006 forward to 192.168.1.128 which is the local address of the rig: IC-7610. Ports are defined in the network menu.

I ran Connect with Debug on in the log. All I got where the 4 lines above.

If I use the local address wfview connects and works perfectly.

Thanks for any help.

Doug – K0DXV

Hi Doug,

Are the port numbers the same on both sides of the router? The protocol cannot handle port numbers that change on either side.

—E
de W6EL

Port numbers are correct on both sides. As I said, when I use the local address it works fine. When I use the external ip address wfview stalls. The router has the proper port forwarding so that 50001, 50002, 50003 go to the IC-7300 and 50004, 50005 & 50006 go to the IC-7610. These ports are defined correctly and work correctly because both rigs work correctly within the local area network. When I attempt to connect externally, wfview just stalls with only the 4 lines of data in the log.

Doug – K0DXV

Hi Doug,

I asked if the port numbers are the same on both sides. I did not ask if you think they are correct, although they may well be. When you ask for help, you have to be open to the fact that you may be incorrect and not realize it. It’s possible anyway.

What do you mean that it works “when I use the local address”. Please explain in detail.

There’s a networking issue here, and this is why I am asking about it.

If the log only has “4 lines of data” I am quite surprised and encourage you to re-launch wfview and check again.

–E
de W6EL

1 Like

The local address is the address assigned by the local router which interfaces between the fiber optic line from the ISP and my local network. The issue is that when I connect a computer on the local network to the IC-7610 using it’s local address wfview works correctly. The router has been setup for port forwarding so that 50001-50003 go to the Widows computer at 192.168.1.125 running as the wfview server for the IC-7300 and 50004-50006 are forwarded to the IC-7610 at 192.168.128. (Locally the port definitions in the router don’t matter).

I don’t know what sort of problem wfview is seeing when I attempt to connect from outside by which I mean using the IP address assigned to the router by the ISP. No doubt it isn’t wfview’s fault and the problem has to do with my router accepting external requests for those ports. If I had some sense of what wfview is seeing that prevents the connection. I will take the issue to the ISP and ask them why it doesn’t work. Bottom line is it should work. Everything is defined correctly. With the ISP I used prior to my current service I had no trouble using several different remote software programs that depended on port forwarding.

Doug – K0DXV

Doug,

it’s simple.

wfview/RSBA1 support NAT
They don’t support PAT

Last time I asked you to answer the questions, you were telling met tI was sarcastic, fine by me. Because I am, when triggered.

Now, Elliott asked the following question:

“I asked if the port numbers are the same on both sides. I did not ask if you think they are correct,”

So we are talking about portforwarding.

“The router has been setup for port forwarding so that 50001-50003 go to the Widows computer at 192.168.1.125 running as the wfview server for the IC-7300 and 50004-50006 are forwarded to the IC-7610 at 192.168.128. (Locally the port definitions in the router don’t matter).”

trying to understand the incomplete information you send…:

Tell me what ports and protocol is used from outside to inside for the 7300
Tell me what ports and protocol is used from outside to inside for the 7610

don’t come up with “it’s correct”, no come up with all these details. If you like, you
can leave out your public ip address for now.

And again, if you don’t answer the questions asked, we cannot help you.

so:

ext.ip.address port aaaaa,bbbbb,ccccc, protocol → internal ip address, port xxxxx,yyyyy,xxxxx, protocol, internal address

and that for both the 7300’s server system as well as for the 7610’s address.

and again: wfview/rsba1 works with NAT, not with PAT; that’s how the protocol works.

By no means have I meant to be sarcastic. The router is set for port forwarding as indicated. I do not know what you mean by NAT or PAT. The ports are open in the same manner they have been open for other programs. The port forwarding definition matches the server and the port definitions on the IC-7610. I suspect that despite the router having port forwarding set, there is something preventing wfview from actually accessing the ports and reaching the 7610. I won’t be back to the location where the radios are for several weeks. So for now, everything will wait until I can back.

The question I asked is what has caused wfview to stall while attempting to access the router’s external IP address? I will probably have to contact my ISP’s technical support to ask if they know why I can’t get through the router.

Thanks,
Doug – K0DXV

If you don’t know the difference between NAT and PAT, you cannot possibly say that the router is set up correctly.

And again, you don’t give any answers.

“stalling” happens when your network is not set up correct or too slow. To identify what part went wrong, you need to answer the questions asked.

You keep saying your setup is right, so we are at yhe point again where we tried to help and you don’t cooperate.

“the ports are open in the same manner they have been open for other programs” – as the setups per program wildly can and will differ, I can be sure that your setup is not correct.

So again, this question and please refrain from any other additions.

Tell me what ports and protocol is used from outside to inside for the 7300
Tell me what ports and protocol is used from outside to inside for the 7610

so:

ext.ip.address port aaaaa,bbbbb,ccccc, protocol → internal ip address, port xxxxx,yyyyy,xxxxx, protocol, internal address

for both devices. As long as you don’t send this information, we cannot possibly give any answer to the issue you face. Except of course that I have the feeling that your network setup is not right.

Sorry. Stalling occurs when a program is stuck inside a loop where an exit state has not been met - or - when a program is waiting for some state to change for it which waits indefinitely. Both NAT and PAT are correctly defined in the router. Just about all modern routers have the ability to port forward. My router does not differentiate which type of request it will forward to the requested port.

At this point I will just forget about wfview. I have other alternatives. You are all being very defensive. To me there is clearly a problem with how wfview deals with the condition that leads to it stalling as I have observed. Good luck with the program. It shows a lot of promise.