Wfview works great on Odroid C4

I had some Odroid boards laying around so I figured I’d see how Wfview ran on them. Originally I installed on an Odroid C2 and it worked fine for local control but remote audio had a crazy amount of dropouts and clicks. The C2 is an older board with a not so new kernel so that was a toss up. I then installed on a C4 which is the newest offering and things worked great. I also have the Icom rs-ba1 software but I like the fact I can have a small low powered sbc connected to the radio.

Hi,

That’s great, glad to hear it! What radio are you connected to, and what kernel and os-version are you using?

uname -r
lsb_release -a
or
cat /etc/lsb-release

Thanks,

–E
de W6EL

The Odroid C2 seemed like it was up to the task, HTOP showed only 25-50% processor usage but remote audio had a bunch of clicks and drops regardless of any buffer settings. It probably has more to do with the kernel than the cpu.

Odroid C2 OS & Kernel
Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS (GNU/Linux 3.16.85-65 aarch64)

Hi Elliot, the radio is an Icom 7300

Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS (GNU/Linux 4.9.277-78 aarch64)

Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS
Release: 20.04
Codename: focal

73’s
Eric
de KB2FZG

Hi Eric,

Are you running the Odroid as the server, and some other computer as the client?

–E
de W6EL

Hi Elliott,

Yes the Odroid is the server and I have the client on my Surface Pro 3 and my main desktop. The main desktop has a 1 gig ethernet connection and the Surface runs over WiFi. Rxlatency on the Surface is around ~80ms with 2ms rtt. I’d have to check the desktop to get those stats. I do have a monitor, keyboard and mouse connected to the Odroid so I can interact with it while I’m in the shack.

de KB2FZG

Hi Eric,

You can try the Opus codec for about a 4x reduction in bandwidth. Select Opus as the TX and RX codec on the client, Save Settings, and then close and re-launch wfview.

Otherwise, every little bit of extra performance will help with real-time UDP. Try and stop windows from doing anything in the background such as Cortana, scanning for wifi access points, or checking for updates.

–E
de W6EL

I’ll give that a try and see how things work out. Interesting enough I took the Surface upstairs which caused me to roam from one access point to another and now latency is ~20ms with rtt still at 2. Another test I need to do is to see how this works over vpn.

de KB2FZG

Hi Eric,

Be aware that some VPNs mangle UDP packets. You may need to play with the sample size and/or codec.

–E
de W6EL

Thanks Elliott

I'll play around with the3 codecs and see which one works the best over vpn.  I see that Opus uses much less bandwidth than the others.  Another thing I noticed but haven't looked into further is that changing codecs on the client causes just the server part of wfview to hang.  From the local wfview I can still control the radio over usb but remote connections fail.  I have to shut down the server side app which usually hangs when I try to shut it down but after restarting everything works great until the next codec change.

Ok I’m not sure why my other reply looks like that.