Hamlib rigctld emulation and Audio Configuration

Hi again group,

I’m going through the steps in the online manual to configure fldigi to work with wfview. There are two screenshots of fldigi dialogs in the fldigi section Setting up the first one went OK. However the second screenshot (soundcard devices) is a problem. It’s asking me to select some Portaudio Loopback devices and I can’t find them in Windows 11. I have heard of Portaudio before but only in reference to Linux. Instead, I have selected the two streams provided by VBAudio’s virtual audio cables, though I don’t know if they are Portaudio devices. I’m getting audio from the radio into fldigi, but I suspect that’s not coming via wfview (and maybe it doesn’t have to).

Nothing happens when I try to send a short message from fldigi for the rig to transmit. Does that audio (have to) go directly from fldigi to the 7300 or does it need to go through wfview?

Thanks again for any assistance.

Ken Alexander VE3HLS

Hi Ken,

Indeed, port audio is there mainly for our linux users. Windows and macOS users will find something else.

I will assume your control is working fine – that is, fldigi shows the current mode and frequency correctly. And I will assume that the radio goes into transmit mode when you tell it to from fldigi. Stop here if you’re having any control issues and address them first.

The audio goes from fldigi through your virtual audio cables (seems to be VBAudio and Windows based on your message), then to wfview, and then to the radio.

Make sure the radio is set to use the USB audio for transmit audio. Sometimes the USB-D mode will be set to another source, such as ACC or mic. wfview provides these settings as a convenience under Radio Settings. Next, switch your secondary meter to TxRxAudio. Verify that you see fldigi’s audio on transmit. If you do not see the audio from fldigi on the meter, then you know the audio isn’t getting into wfview. Make sure fldigi’s internal volume control is cranked up. Also check the virtual audio cables and make sure you don’t have something happening such as an input connected to another input. Just check it carefully.

Let me know what you find,

–E
de W6EL

Hi Elliott,

Rig control wasn’t working yesterday afternoon, but it’s OK now (I failed to notice the Initialize button down in the corner!).

PTT works. However, Output Power and TX Audio meters both show zero when I transmit my call using PSK31. Audio is making it to fldigi just fine via the 7300’s USB driver.

When I connect fldigi to wfview via the VBAudio cables I get no audio. But when everything is connected using the 7300’s USB driver I get received audio to fldigi but no TX audio out.

Looking at the audio devices config dialog, it seems that the only way I can specify the VBAudio cables is if I use Port Audio. In fact, now that I have selected it and chosen the VBAudio cables I cannot unselect Port Audio. Is that (part of) the problem?

OK, this is confusing. On the Radio Access dialog in wfview Settings, are Audio Output and Audio Input meant to be for audio going to and from external applications like fldigi? Or are they for something else. If they’re for external applications then my virtual audio cables are dead.

Ken

Hi Ken,

I wrote it down in the manual because I too manage to double-think these things and then I get confused!

https://wfview.org/wfview-user-manual/settings-tab/#radio_access

• Audio Output: Select your computer’s speakers or headset speakers here. Some platforms will provide a “default” device, which is generally acceptable.
  • Audio Input: Select your computer’s microphone or headset microphone here. Again, some platforms provide a “default” device.

So the Audio Output would go to fldigi’s audio input. And the Audio Input would come from fldigi’s output.

Did you change the secondary meter to “TxRxAudio”? Make sure you do this test, it will tell you right away if audio is getting in to wfview. You can even just set it to TxAudio, and it will show you any audio coming in to the program, even during receive.

In wfview, use whichever of the three audio back-ends works best for you. It really is different for each person, and all three work for many people.

–E
de W6EL

Hi Elliott,

OK, in my system, on wfview Settings | Radio Access dialog…

Audio Output = Speakers (USB Audio CODEC) this is the 7300’s USB driver.

Audio Input = Microphone (USB audio CODEC) this is the 7300’s USB driver.

That said, I don’t see anywhere in wfview to tell it to use the VBAudio virtual cables to send audio to and from any external software like fldigi.

I assume I send audio to fldigi via the VBAudio cables, but how does wfview know that??

Ken Alexander VE3HLS

Hi Elliott,

I see on the audio configuration page a note in bold type that says

For USB connected rigs, you can simply use the USB audio devices provided by your rig.

Does that mean I should ignore ALL of the discussion about virtual audio cables and just connect wfview and fldigi to the 7300’s USB audio CODECs?

I’m sorry, the more I read the more confused I seem to get…

Ken Alexander VE3HLS

Hi Ken,

How are you connected to the radio? If you’re sitting right next to the radio, then yes, just use the USB audio ports directly. If you are accessing it remotely, then you need to redirect the audio from wfview into other programs.

—E
de W6EL

Hi Elliott,

I’m connected remotely (rig is in VE3. I’m in Thailand). Audio to and from the rig itself are via the USB audio CODEC provided by Icom’s USB driver. Things ‘mostly’ work when I use the CODECs in the wfview setup. But as I asked before, there’s no place in wfview to tell it about the virtual audio cables you want me to use to connect to fldigi. Where does wfview get that information from. How does it know?

Ken Alexander VE3HLS

You select the virtual audio cables in the ‘client’ wfview instead of your local audio input/output devices within the Radio tab.

73 Phil

Hi Phil,

Sorry, you lost me. What client are you talking about? I use wfview remotely but I don’t operate it from a client at my location. I log on to my computer in VE3 via Chrome Remote Desktop and use it that way.

Ken Alexander VE3HLS

Hi Phil,

I’m in front of the computer now.

I can’t tell if you are talking about settings within wfview or fldigi. Regardless, I don’t see the “Radio tab” you refer to in either application. I also don’t know what you mean by “‘client’ wfview”

I went into wfview and fldigi and changed the audio settings to CABLE Input/Output (VB-Audio Virtual Cable). I think this is what the online user manual is asking me to do…

With these settings I lost the waterfall in fldigi, so no audio is getting from wfview to fldigi. Audio is also not getting from fldigi to wfview as the TX audio meter in wfview reads zero when I send a short message in PSK31.

I know the virtual audio cable work fine between fldigi and Win4Icom Suite, the rig control software I’ve been using, but trying to get away from.

Please help. There are only 2 ways to configure the audio here and neither of them work.

Ken Alexander VE3HLS

Sorry I thought you were using the wfview built-in server. In your configuration, as has been mentioned before, wfview doesn’t have anything to do with audio.

Phil

if you don’t have something set up like this:

we cannot help you. Any other spart ways to connect: on your own. Sorry. (Even VPN’s we officially don’t support)

and above picture is only for the USB connected rigs, if someone has an ethernet connection, we strongly suggest only to use that.

Hi Phil,

I don’t use wfview’s built in server because my friend in Canada whose router my rig control (host) computer connects to can’t access the router that his internet service provider provides him unless he calls them and asks/begs them to do things like open ports. Therefore, opening ports 50001, 50002 and 50003 as you require is not a simple matter. In fact, they will very likely turn down the request if they think “strangers” are trying to access one of their routers. It would be easier to pay $3000 and fly to Canada, drive to my host’s place and do the work myself.

That’s why I use Chrome Remote Desktop. I login to my host computer and It’s the same as sitting in front of that computer. I’m literally sitting in front of the wfview Server.

All this time, I’ve been seeking help getting audio moving between wfview and fldigi. I don’t need help with audio between VE3 and Thailand. I already use a service to stream full duplex audio between VE3 and Thailand and it works perfectly. That’s not what I need help with. If I have mixed this up with streaming audio to Thailand then I apologize, but I barely understand what I’m doing.

If, after this you’re still going to force me to setup a client/server then I have to abandon this project because there are too many obstacles for me. Please let me know if you can help with what seems like a simple matter or if you really want me to leave.

Thanks,

Ken Alexander VE3HLS

As we have said (numerous times) wfview does not handle audio for USB connected rigs, so there is NO configuration in wfview that can work like you want it to! If you cannot use the wfview client/server, simply bypass wfview and connect the USB audio codec from the IC7300 directly to fldigi or whatever software you are using.

Phil

We simply cannot support configs that does not adhere to the basic comms requirements that wfview needs.

Also using audio pipes, virtual cables: it may work. It may not.

If you cannot open ports at all, you generally SOL, Ken and I definitely would have ditched the ISP.

Ken,

I got you. For your setup, I assume (please correct me if I’m wrong) that you run programs like fldigi and wsjt-x on the remote PC using the chrome remote desktop, yes?

If so, those programs can access the radio’s audio directly. You just select the “IC-7300 USB Audio CODEC” (or some similar name) from the program that you want to access the audio with. Just as though you do not have wfview. I don’t know exactly what your virtual desktop does with audio, but my guess is you don’t need “remote audio” for these digital mode programs anyway.

In wfview, you do not touch any audio related things, as wfview does not interact with the audio when used this way. wfview will still chug along with the waterfall though.

Use wfview’s built-in rigcontrold-compatible server to grant programs like fldigi and wsjt-x control of your radio (PTT, frequency, mode, etc). wfview can even accept multiple programs requesting control at a time using this method.

I hope that clears things up. I think wfview’s built-in server-client system is more advanced, BUT, I get that you don’t have a way to set that up at this time. You gotta do what you can, and this is ham radio after all, we love connecting things up in creative ways.

–E
de W6EL

Hi Roeland,

My friend in Canada gives me free unlimited use of his internet connection out of the goodness of his heart. I have no say in what company he chooses. He is happy with them. My needs are secondary to his.

Ken Alexander VE3HLS