Help! New Install on a Mac

Trying to install on a MacBook Pro, Big Sur, to link wirelessly with my IC-705. Started out trying to setup WLAN, but that proved totally frustrating. Switched over to setup with a USB cable, but no luck there either. I’ve been bouncing back and forth between the manual and the various videos on YouTube. Anyone know of clear instructions to setup WFView on a Mac running Big Sur OS?

Many thanks in advance.

73 de Jeff
WK3U

1 Like

the 705 is a bit “different” and somewhat weird – you need to have the 705 to join your local wifi AP in the same subnet as your mac. If you have, you can then ping the 705 and connect eventually.

having said that _ I will also check and see what happens if I make the 705 an AP and connect directly with my laptop – it should work but I hardly see why this is a desired operation mode (unless you don’t have internet at all)

Hey, thanks for the reply. Been tinkering with it all day and have it connected via USB and working appropriately. But when I switch to LAN and click “connect”… nothing. The computer wifi connects to the radio’s wifi. Radio set to access point, WLAN on, IP address, username and password correct, virtual serial port none. RX Codec and TX Codec are both blank with no options available. Audio input and output are just the computer microphone and speaker. For the Mac what should these boxes look like to connect via LAN? Should the RX Codec and TX Codec be blank? If not, how do I populate a setting in these spaces? There’s nothing in the drop down lists.

Thanks again!

73 de Jeff, WK3U

like mentioned – that way of operation has not been tested and I will do test it at some point.

the way it is supposed to work is this:

WLAN — connected to internet (optional)
WLAN – connected to laptop (linux, mac, windows)
WLAN – connected to IC705

In other words:

laptop → IC705 is not supported (read: not tested, not sure if that works or not; it could/should but that needs some networking knowledge from the user)

As said: I’ll test and if it works, I’ll document but really you should connect all the equipment to your access point there and the AP will take care of the routing. If you don’t you will need to handle the static routing yourself I guess which makes life hard.

Thanks again! I’ll keep tinkering… :smiley:

I’ve been using wfview 1.0 with a 2020 intel macbook pro. I first set it up to work through my wifi router (forgive me…I don’t know squat about wifi). I could use it to transmit SSB, CW, AM and FM. It was fairly stable and reliable. I then switched the setup to the 705 being the “router”. I just mean that the computer is controlling the radio wirelessly without my wifi router involved. To be honest, I just changed this and changed that until it was working. I got it to work in that configuration with WSJ T-X sporadically. Max transmission time was 13 minutes before transmissions started cutting out. Much of the time the first transmission cuts out. If you already haven’t figured this out, let me know and I’ll list all my 705 settings and WFview settings. I’m too tired tonight but tomorrow I’ll be happy to do it.

Fritz

that would be nice if you put your findings here; highly appreciated.

Obvioulsy if the 705 has a real AP with all functionality necessary, it should just work but since that way of operation is not really something I am using, I never bothered to do it that way.

I can think of it that you wold do this if you only have a laptop and the 705 and that’s it; nothing else connected (not other network stuff. So if you 're “out in the woods”. )

Hi Jeff,

I’ve just downloaded Wfview for Windows onto my desktop - now working fine with my 705 via USB. I have also downloaded it onto my MacBook and am trying to connect via USB but with no luck, I see that you managed to do this, can you tell me how?

Many thanks, 73s,

Chris
G1VNA

Hi Chris,

1 Like

Hi Chris.

You don’t mention what radio you are using? Most Icom rigs should automatically use the MacOS built/in USB drivers but it won’t be automatically detected by wfview so you will need to select the port that is created for the rig.

73 Phil

Thanks Guys

Got it working via USB on the MacBook.

Then I tried wireless.I tried entering same details as you Don, only difference is my IP Address and the Audio input and output, both are set to Built in Output and Built in Microphone.

The Mac connects to the Radio’s Lan ok but I can’t seem to get Wfview to talk to the 705.

I’ve tried all of the Virtual serial ports none work. Are there any other settings on the Mac I need to make?

Many Thanks
73’s
Chris
G1VNA

do you use the 705 as an access point or has it joined your wireless lan?

Hi Roeland

The IC-705 connection type is set to Access point, WLAN is on. I’ve tried Network control on and off.

Thanks,

Chris

I would like to use a MacOS Big Sur 11.5.1 laptop as Wfview client, and Win10 as server, USB connected to an IC-7410. I installed the new Wfview 1.1 on both machines.

The Mac cannot connect to the Win 10 Wfview server via WiFi.
Mac as Wfview server and Win10 client DOES work.

Both can communicate with the IC-7410 when connected via USB. (On the Mac, you need to manually select the serial port, save and then restart. Auto select USB serial port does not work.)

With the WFV version 1.0, the Mac was able to see the Win10 server. Starting with 1.1a and now 1.1, I am no longer able to connect the Mac to the Win10 Wfview server.

73 de Reinier W6WYN

wfview.log (21.1 KB)

HI Reinier.

What happens when you try to connect to the wfview server? Do you receive any messages on the client wfview (also check the logs of both). There have been very few changes to the network protocol between v1.0 and v1.1 so I would be surprised if it doesn’t work.

73 Phil

wfview.log (1.6 KB)
Hi Phil,
Here is the Win10 server log.
The Mac client does not show a connection on the UI. Right corner says “NONE”

Hi Phil, Here is the Mac OS client log file.
wfview.log (1.4 KB)

Hi Reinier.

If that is the server log then the audio is setup incorrectly, it should be pointing to the rig audio devices.

Are you sure that nothing else is using ports 50001-50003 on the windows computer as the server doesn’t seem to even recognise that a client is trying to connect?

It is worth checking from within Powershell (try ports 50001,50002 and 50003):

Get-Process -Id (Get-NetUDPEndpoint -LocalPort 50001).OwningProcess

73 Phil

Hi Phil,

S C:\Users\Reinier> Get-Process -Id (Get-NetUDPEndpoint -LocalPort 50001).OwningProcess

Handles NPM(K) PM(K) WS(K) CPU(s) Id SI ProcessName

493      39    18624      44428       1.63   9560   1 wfview

S C:\Users\Reinier> Get-Process -Id (Get-NetUDPEndpoint -LocalPort 50001).OwningProcess

493      39    18624      44428       1.63   9560   1 wfview

PS C:\Users\Reinier> Get-Process -Id (Get-NetUDPEndpoint -LocalPort 50002).OwningProcess

483      37    18716      44264       2.19   9560   1 wfview

PS C:\Users\Reinier-Desktop2> Get-Process -Id (Get-NetUDPEndpoint -LocalPort 50003).OwningProcess

473      36    18420      44136       2.45   9560   1 wfview