M803 marine/ham transceiver

Hi,
Any idea if vfview will work with icom m803 radio transceiver?

Thanks
Mar

Hi Mark.

Unless it supports the standard Icom CI-V commands, then it won’t work at all with wfview. I can’t see any mention of CI-V in the manuals I have found so it doesn’t look promising!

73 Phil M0VSE

Hi Mark,

With the remote port set to “RS-232”, it might speak CI-V, it’s not clear. Set to NMEA it would certainly not!

Do you have such an adapter? Can you see what data, if any, come out?

According to Dock Side Radio, the M802 has CI-V address 0x08 and operates at 4800 baud.

–E
de W6EL

1 Like

Hi Elliot,
Thansk for response!
I will contact ICOM support to find out about CI-V support. For now, I will keep my fingers crossed.

MarkD:-)

Hi Phil,

thanks for responding to my querry, I am about to ask ICOM support this very question - CI-V commands support

MarkD:-)

I’m quite curious! Let us know what you find out. Some of my previous information I posted here may have been about the IC-m802 accidentally. That IC-M803 looks amazing.

Can I ask a question, does it have a true “VFO” mode where you can tune transmit and receive frequency like a traditional ham radio?

–E
de W6EL

Hi Elliot,

I just got comformation that m803 has the same support for ci5 as m802. It can also be set as a full ham transciver.

Thanks
Mark

I have an M803, and it works qiote well on Linux Mint with Hamlib using a USB to 232 converter.

I check "Manual Radio CI-V Addre and set it to 14 (the ID for the M803 is 0x14 = 20), and check “Use CI-V address as Mod”.

When I click “Connect to Radio” it changes to “Disconnect from Radio”, but there is no data exchange.

Debug repeats:

`Final payload in rig commander to be sent to rig:
2024-01-29 15:20:17.864 DBG rigTraffic: “---- Begin hex dump -----:”
2024-01-29 15:20:17.864 DBG rigTraffic: "DATA: fe fe 14 e1 1a 06 fd "
2024-01-29 15:20:17.864 DBG rigTraffic: "INDEX: 00 01 02 03 04 05 06 "
2024-01-29 15:20:17.864 DBG rigTraffic: “---- End hex dump -----”
2024-01-29 15:20:17.990 DBG serial: Serial port error? Attempting reconnect…

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Hello,

Since we do not have a “profile” within the source code for the m802 and m803 radios (yet), this will be a bit difficult for now.

You can try not checking “Use CI-V address as Model ID too”. Then manually tell wfview the CI-V address. This will cause wfview to communicate with the radio, but, many of the features will not work since we don’t know much about the radio. I can’t say you’ll get much out of this but you can try it and see what it does.

Another approach is to tell the radio to use the default CI-V address of a radio we already support. If the commands are close enough, it will work. But I don’t know if that radio lets you change the CI-V address.
If it does, here is a list to choose from:

If you can set the radio’s CI-V to match a similar radio, such as the IC-718 maybe, then you can tell wfview to manually use that CI-V address and then do check the “Use CI-V address as Model ID too” box.

With the new version of wfview we are working on, there is a “rig editor” which will pave the road to doing this in a much easier way.

If you have documentation on the CI-V functions that are known to work on this radio, please do send it!

–E
de W6EL

I’ve tried all the combinations and permutations of the Radio Connection. I also have a 705 connected via USB and WiFi, and a 7300 via USB.

I have successfully used rigctrld, ardop, vara (wine), and Pat with the M803 for email communications, and plan to use that for email while at sea.

It would be great to have Wfview, which is visually marvelous, for rig control, even without the waterfall.

As I mentioned, rigctld works without issues with the M803. Here is hamlib’s icm803.c.

Thanks for the response,

Noel

p.s. could not upload the file - new user.

Looking at the M802/3 protocol, it is NOT C-IV based, so i’m afraid there is little-to-no chance of wfview ever supporting it.

Thanks

Phil

Oh wow, yeah, this is far out from where we are with things.

I’m afraid Phil is right, this command set is unlikely to end up in wfview.

Since your rig is in hamlib, maybe consider flrig and grig?

–E
de W6EL

While I love Wfview, I am using SDR Console on my boat to control my ts 480. It has the spectrum, waterfall, filters, external transceiver control via computer. I am using an RTL SDR and the IF out of the kenwood, but you could also use any SDR receiver and a TX Rx switch.
73 AC5LL

I would imagine the IC-M803, like most ICOM radios, is CI-V based as it has a CI-V address (20).

I’m a little puzzled that Wfview can purportedly act as a rigctld server, but apparently cannot access it.

Instead of the serial port being restricted to, e.g., “/dev/ttyUSBx”, “localhost:4532” would allow Wfview to control any radio hamlib supports.

See the link I sent earlier. The M802 and 803 use some kind of NMEA-like protocol, which many GNSS and other marine equipment use.

If it were CI-V, it would be much simpler.

Since wfview doesn’t speak the language of the radio, don’t be puzzled that we cannot communicate to it.

You can use hamlib’s rigctld if you need it. wfview does not use any code from hamlib.

–E
de W6EL

Unfortunately, flrig does not support the M803 (or work with hamlib), and grig has no memory functions. Many others simply don’t work under Linux. So today I started writing my own based on hamlib.

In case you haven’t come across this, Wfview causes periodic full (except for the mouse) and partial screen blackouts. I have observed this on four out of five Linux Mint desktop/laptops using Icoms 7300 and 705 (both USB and Wifi). Closing the program halts the behavior.

Thank you for your comments.

Hello,

I think that’s really great that you will write a program. Please send us a link when you get it going. wfview started in a similar way – nobody had an application that could even view the spectrum the rig provided – so we sat down and made one!

Be careful using hamlib. The API is based on older paradigms and it may be a lot easier and more flexible to write your own. And higher-performing too.

I have not had the screen blackout. If you can figure out how to cause it, please give us a full report. I am exclusively a user of linux and I haven’t seen any black out issues yet.

–E
de W6EL

1 Like

What about OnmiRig rather than Hamlib?

Onmirig is the go between for quite a few applications and rigs.

AC5LL

@SteveAC5LL OmniRig is Windows only and I believe the OP is using Linux?

Grig supports hamlib and exposes most radio functions (I use it for testing of the wfview rigctld emulation)

Phil

Hello,
concerning blackouts I used wfview with
lenovo notebook w11 and debian/xfce as native system,
lenovo notebook with debian as host and oracle virtual box as guest with debian/xfce
lenovo notebook with w11 as host and oracle virtual box as guest with debian/xfce
never observed blackouts.
I would never recommend w11 as host, it is introducing to much latency.
Mint is using ubuntu as base as far as I know. Are you using Xorg or Wayland.
I used for more than 30 years debian based systems, tried ubuntu some years too, but moved completly back to debian. I don’t like flatpack or similar packages,
Of course I could test wfview running in a virtual machine with native mint guest.
Michael