Remote operation wfview wsjt-x hamlib connection times out while opening connection to rig

Hi all,

I have remote client wfview setup per the directions and can access the host over TeamViewer. Log4om connects ok. Wsjt-x setup per wfview directions. When I test CAT I get a hamlib timeout error network.c 441 while opening connection to rig.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Jay KC1PBX

Hi Jay,

Check which port you have selected for rigctld in wfview (and make sure it is enabled). The default wfview rigctld port is 4533 but the Hamlib default is 4532. The port must match in both wfview and wsjt-x.

Also make sure rig split mode isn’t enabled in wsjt-x as it doesn’t currently work, use fake-it.

73 Phil M0VSE

Hi Phil,
Thanks for your response. Yes, all my settings are as you describe.

Is there a way to set the rigctl timeout?

There is no timeout at the wfview end but I have never had a timeout error in wsjt-x when using the wfview rigctld. It is possible that the port is in use by another program, so worth changing the port in both wfview and wsjt-x.

73 Phil M0VSE

Hi again Phil,
I have wfview running and log4om running as well. Perhaps if I don’t run log4om, wsjt-x will work?

As it turns out, the way I have it setup, wfview running all by itself cannot control the radio remotely, an ic-7300 in my case. I will have to diagnose and fix that first.

Hi Phil et all

I just wanted to thank you for your teams WFVIEW programme. Yesterday I downloaded you latest software and this morning I configured it to work with my ICOM 9700.

I’m running it on windows 10.

Once again very appreciated all your teams effort.

73 Ken

GW0RHC/A92HC/HZ1GW

The Gower/GWYR Contest Club GW4CC

GW0RHC, mind sharing your settings? Can’t get it to work remotely outside LAN whatsoever.

John T. Branam
ChoiceSpine Sales Representative
Branam Enterprises President & C.E.O.
johnbranam@gmail.com

Hello,

What WFView version did you download ?

Hi John,

I shall be testing the log on from remote tomorrow if successful I’ll share the info with you.

73 Ken

GW0RHC

Thank you that would be great. I’m running the latest version not sure number on mobile now. Can ck later.

John T. Branam
ChoiceSpine Sales Representative
Branam Enterprises President & C.E.O.
johnbranam@gmail.com

Hi Bob, not sure if your question is directed to me, but it made me realize one issue that might be responsible for part of my problem.

When things didn’t work right away,and to use wsjt-x I downloaded 1.2d to my remote laptop.

My host (some distance away) is running 1.1 and no hamlib. I’ve also learned more about the necessary settings on the 7300.

When I get everything working I’ll create a doc and perhaps a video.

Jay KC1PBX

Alas, I cannot return to my house where my host is running. I have collected and read several logs while running debug.

I was a software consultant for a long time before retiring.

Is there any doc on the log messages?

I’m seeing a couple that repeat a lot. Yes, I realize I’m probably spinning my wheels until I can get to the host.

Jay KC1PBX

Hi Jay,

We have a little bit of documentation on that here:
https://wfview.org/wfview-user-manual/log-file/
But the vast majority will be referenced to the source code. In debug mode this can get pretty intense. You can always grep the source code for the string you see in the log file.

–E
de W6EL

Yeah, I had a feeling! Lol! Ok. I may just do that.

Jay

Success!

My 7300s settings changed probably due to omnirig. I set the ci-v stuff, updated wfview ro 1.2d and hamlib. Note, I had to set ci-v address to auto on the client.

Note: I noticed the view display meter doesn’t seem to be updating. Still I’m very pleased. The internet out here at camp is a wet thread, which is posing some issues.

Hi Jay,

Sweet! Glad it’s working! No meter typically means we got invalid rig information. Maybe try re-launching the client. You can also try enabling other meters under Settings and changing the meter polling rate. The 7300 can meter update pretty fast.

—E
de W6EL

I’ve relaunched the client a few times. View shows 7300 in lower right corner. Other meters? I will investigate. Polling at 25ms.

I have no setting for other meters. Running wfview 1.2d, hamlib vpse. I pressed ahead and launched log4om and wsjt-x and had success for a bit.