IC-9700 connect over WLAN

Hello Friends,
I know that it is not the best option to connect over wlan with my Laptop and wfview to my IC-9700, but I would like to try it out.
Did someone get it running? I am asking because connection over LAN works but over WLAN it doesn’t work.
It also seems that I loose some settings when I switch from LAN to WLAN → see picture, but I don’t know if that is a problem.

Thanks for your comments.

the data input itself is the modulation source.

If you have it in LAN, it will effectively take the input from your laptop and feed it into the rig. If it’s say “MIC” it will not use the audio from the laptop but the front-connector of the 9700.

and the other part:

“I know that it is not the best option to connect over wlan with my Laptop and wfview to my IC-9700, but I would like to try it out.
Did someone get it running? I am asking because connection over LAN works but over WLAN it doesn’t work.”

There is not a real reason not to connect over your wireless env. It’s a fine option in fact.

Here:

9700 – hard connected to the access point
laptop – connected to the access point via wifi.

Works fine. So maybe I don’t understand your question exactly.

Using the laptop over wireless LAN to hook to the rig is standard operation, I think. Are you talking about the connection of rig to LAN, or PC to LAN?

…Dave

for the sake of not mixing up terms…

a LAN is wired, a WLAN is wireless; However, for the way things work, generally the wireless network has the same properties as a wired lan; except for that it travels over the air instead of a cable.

So as long as all devices are on the same (W)LAN, you can talk to the device.

(Obviously you need to have either use a DHCP server in your network, most routers/wlans do; else you need to set up manually the connection. This involves the right IP address, netmask, gateway and dns options.)

Since the 705 does not have a physical LAN connection, it needs to join your WLAN; your laptop should do too.

If you think you should talk directy to the rig (and therefore to notheing else, no internet available on the laptop, no time settings in the rig, it appears that it can work but of you have an access point, it makes no sense. The standard operation is having the laptop and the 705 joining the same WLAN network.

To make it more clear, I have tested the following…

First try
9700 - hard connected to access point
laptop - hard connected to router (same network)
works fine

second try

9700 - hard connected to access point
same laptop - connected to the access point (same network) via wifi.
doesn’t work

I know that it should work! The only idea I have is that the program runs in a timeout and stops trying when the 9700 reacts not fast enough.
Should I see some error messages in the wfview log?

I am talking about using the laptop over wireless LAN to hook to the rig.
It doesn’t work for me but using the laptop hard connected router it works.

…Randa

ok, in that case the laptop will have other issues too. That’s not wfview specific but an issue with the settings of your laptop.

what OS do you run? (in the case that windows/mac people can help)

Operating System is Windows 10

Is there a way to change the email frequency of this group to a daily digest?

I looked around and I could not find it, I hope it’s possible.

Thanks

WA6JFK

Brian:

can you ping the default gatenway?
can you ping an external system like ping.xs4all.nl?
can you ping the 705?

Yes, everything fine!
By the way it is a 9700 hard connected to the router

Did you go in to the setup for your router, and open ports as instructed?

Why should I open ports for the internal network, I dont want to access from the internet.

It looks like it has something to do with the wlan-repeater (FRITZ!WLAN Repeater 1750E).
If I use another wlan-repeater (Devolo Magic 2) the connection works.
If I directly connect the laptop with wlan to the main access point (FRITZ!Box 6591 Cable), it also does not work.

I also have a Fritzbox (7590) and a Fritz repeater (3000) which works fine here. There must be a setting wrong.

Strange, because with Icom RS-BA1 it works with every repeater and access point.

I have installed wfview 1.0 on my Windows 10 laptop today, and after it was installed it immediately worked via the same wifi network / router, just like the Mac version i use here.
(on the same network/router + repeater as my Mac)

Hello Chris, could you please send me a picture with your settings?

Hi Randa,

do you mean settings from my fritzbox ?